shortcut to minimize all windows (winkey + m)

is there a way to make a shortcut that performs this functionality?

basically, i want to replace the "show desktop" shortcut in the quicklaunch toolbar with a shortcut that minimizes all windows..

unfortunately, "show desktop" also hides any windows toolbars that are not connected to the taskbar - even if they are set to "always on top"..

so i'd like to be able to click this "show desktop" replacement, and have everything minimize, but my toolbar(s) remain..

thanks in advance.. hope this is possible. ;)

-bob

Notepad.

paste this:

[shell]

Command=2

IconFile=Point_Me_to_desired_icon

[Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

Save as Show Desktop.scf or something like it. Drag it to the quicklaunch.

thanks morphos, but that is exactly what the existing "show desktop.scf" does..

and as i tried to explain in my original request, i am looking for a shortcut that can perform the functionality of hitting (winkey + m) "minimize all windows," not (winkey + d) "show desktop"..

the reason being is that i have a windows toolbar, set as always-on, docked to the edge of my desktop, but not docked to the taskbar.. i would like this toolbar to always be visible (thus the always-on).. but when i use "show desktop" the toolbar is hidden. if i hit (winkey + m) to minimize all windows, however, all the windows are minimized, but the toolbar is not hidden.. *this* is exactly the functionality i'm looking to replicate through a shortcut..

sorry for the misunderstanding.. hope that helps clear things up.

-bob

yeah..i want to know if anyone know how to do it..me too have a windows toolbar but it'll hidden if i use the winkey + d..ooh...and i also use rainlender it have the same kind of problem(hidden when i click the Show Desktop..

Originally posted by amoeba  

Why exactly would you need to use Winkey M over Winkey D?  I have always wondered this.

Showing Desktop would not minimize any windows and their position and size will remain the same unlike Winkey M. Winkey M minimized all windows. By pressing Winkey D again after you've pressed it and it shows your deskop would bring back all your windows to its previous position.

so now that we've got that all straightened out..

anyone know how to create a windows shortcut (clickable icon) that performs the functionality of hitting the winkey + m (minimize all)..?

that's all i want!

thanks in advance.

-bob

• 3 years later...

I know this is a little late (4 years later) but i've found the answer. It'll require a program to actually create a little mini-application. It's called "Autohotkey", and it'll let you record your actions and save them as macros in exe files (see where i'm getting with this?).

http://www.autohotkey.com

It's a free download. Install it, run the recorder (which is separate from the main program, look in start menu), turn off mouse recording, press the record button on the upper left hand side (looks like banner), and just press WindowsKey+M, and stop recording. save the file, and open "Convert .ahk to .exe" from the start menu and make an exe, then uninstall the program if you want. I know it's not the most efficient fix, but it works, and it only took 4 years to figure out!

(or download the attached exe i made, i promise it's not a virus)

MinimizeAll.zip