GTA Map Size Comparison

GTA:SA has three full cities...Los Santos (LA), San Fierro (San Fransisco) and Las Venturas (Las Vegas).  Yeah, Vegas ain't in California, but a city based on Oakland ain't too exciting.

584943232[/snapback]

I think a city based on Oakland would have been hilarious. Poverty stricken city with a bunch of different gangs running around, they could connect them with the Bay Bridge, plenty of hood territory to own/claim.

Actually, they could have made a whole new seperate game with Vegas. That would be pretty nice.

If you try to drive around the entire map in a car it takes freaking forever. Even driving the train, the Brown Streak, takes a long time too, but I usually derail the train half of the way, by accident of course.... I guess that is why they have included all those planes and helicopters so that you can reach the other cities without driving for like half and hour. I could only imagine how long it would take to go around the entire map on a bike. I think you will break your PS2 controller mashing the "x" button to pedal. As far as I have gotten into the game, this is the biggest map on a console system. I was floored when I started playing it and realized how big it is. Nice map comparison pictures, that is cool.

Edited by jmole

geeze, thats huge.  i'm so tempted to get a pstwo now...plus mgs3 and gt4 :p

584944470[/snapback]

If you have the money you should get it. I traded in my PS2 for $80 at GameStop and then purchased the PSTwo along with GTA: SA last Sunday. I am not shocked by much when it comes to console video games, but the work and detail that Rockstar put into this game is beyond what they did in GTA: III and Vice City as you can see by the size of the map. Playing in the different cities, countryside, etc. sort-of makes you feel like you are playing a different game in each area. My damn friends keep telling me to bring the game over their houses, which is becoming a pain because I have forgotten it twice and they make me drive home to get the game.

I look at the map now and think it would have been cool to have some suburbs in San Andreas. They put in the Mullholland area with the hills and the big houses, but San Fierro goes right from city to countryland.

If you look at the map, you have three islands:

1: Los Santos, country

2: San Fierro, country, mountain

3: Las Venturas, desert

I think they should have ditched the country south of SF for suburbia. Plenty of houses ripe for robbing :)

Eh, I'm sure they did what they did for a reason though. Perhaps the game was already stuffed to the busting point.

you can keep on going as far as i kno i flew out for ages then crashed it and swam back i put some tape over the x button and left it it took about an hour to get back lol

I was just wondering, I never tried this yet.  What happens when you fly a plane to the edge of the map?  Does it loop to the other side of the map?

584945620[/snapback]

What do you think this is? Pac Man???

What do you think this is?  Pac Man???

584945722[/snapback]

Perhaps...

Many FPSes or flight simulator type of games have the map loop around when you reach the edge. It sure would have save a lot of time getting from point A to point B in GTA:SA if they did that. Then again, not being able to do that gives me an excuse to hijack the Brown Streak and sing "Crazy Train" to myself as I derail it over and over again while going from Point A to Point B.