Lynksys router/ College Database Question

Question for you guys. I have my brother hooked up to our cable internet thru a lynksys router w/firewall. Its never given anyproblem getting on to anything.Online games and everything else is fine. My brother needs to be able to connect to his college database, but it says he's being blocked by our firewall. He can connect to the schools site no problem, just the database where he gets a 505 error.

Is there anything i can configure on the router software to allow him to get on? I think personally that the problem is on the server side at the school. But they say it's not.

With a linsys router you should be able to configure what is being blocked and what isn't. You should try disabling the firewall and trying it then. Also you might want to map the specific port needed for the database to your brother's internal IP.

Thanks for the reply...how would i go about finding the specific port?

The only port the router has blocked ( as far as i can tell) is under " remote managment port 8080.

Edited by mulder

Really - 505 error? This is a "HTTP Version Not Supported" error - I would not believe it is due to your router. What browser are you using? Would seem like something wrong with their site.

This is caused when the server does not support the http protocol being used to make the request. You see it most when scripts are accessing something, be it when sending mail, etc.. So it could be something on their end - where their code being used to access the DB is hosed, etc..

Well for a quick test - put him in the DMZ, and try it - if works. Then you can look to what ports you need open, etc.. Can the url be accessed by anyone? Whats the url to the DB, do you get the 505 only after you attempt to login?