Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD

An LCD monitor does not change unless it needs to. It doesn't matter how often the video card sends the signal because that is not what the refresh rate does. All the refresh rate does is tell a CRT how fast it needs to scan the image onto the screen to prevent flickering. This simply does not apply to an LCD.

talking about CRTs, when you go from 60hz to, say, 85hz, does the graphics card generate 25 additional frames each second, or does it repeat some of them? i'm going under the assumption that it generates more frames, but it seems like you're going under the assumption that it doesn't.

i cant find this monitor anywhere on the dell uk site :(

i can only find the 2001FP :(

585007229[/snapback]

Anbody got a link to a retailer in the UK?

Called Dell about the LCD here in Denmark (it's in Scandinavia, Europe if you didn't know already :)), they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess it won't be out before Christmas here.

Called Dell about the LCD here in Denmark (it's in Scandinavia, Europe if you didn't know already :)), they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess it won't be out before Christmas here.

585008262[/snapback]

Figures :rolleyes:

Excellent explanation of the different technologies!

A CRT uses an electron gun that fires radioactive waves at a screen covered in a phosphorous element which in turn excites that element and causes it to glow.  Because of this the only way to cover the entire screen is to fire the electron gun in waves on the horizontal and vertical axis, this in turn causes the flickering the human eye is capable of seeing at frequencies in the typical range of 75 Hz or lower.

An LCD works by using pixels individually controlled through electronics, these pixels are either on or off.  Unlike a CRT, LCDs do not have to refresh the image unless the image changes and even when it does only the pixels that change get changed, not all the pixels on the entire screen.  Therefore the refresh rate does not apply to an LCD in any way shape or form.  Instead, LCDs have response times which account for the time in which it takes a single pixel to change it's color.

585006831[/snapback]

Are you serious?

585011784[/snapback]

You bet.

A bright stuck on GREEN right in the middle of the screen with a half dead green one next to it. And theres a red stuck on too.

So ~3 dead pixels. No go for me after spending so much on the monitor.

It was not in there until I connected the monitor. Then it showed up.

On both my computers it worked that way.

Radeon 9600Pro on one and Geforce 5900xt on the other.

I installed the drivers anyways so I could have better color profiles.

no, they have like a 1 dead pixel policy, and it lasts for 3 years....thats why im glad i bought it from dell...especially for the price

585012645[/snapback]

hot damn. i'm excited :jump:

no, they have like a 1 dead pixel policy, and it lasts for 3 years....thats why im glad i bought it from dell...especially for the price

585012645[/snapback]

can anyone confirm this? that would make this dell monitor so much sweeter if true :D

can anyone confirm this? that would make this dell monitor so much sweeter if true  :D

585012761[/snapback]

Yah If it has any Dead pixels you can return it for another and the warrenty is 3 years.