Apple Displays

somebody brought up rims in a post way back - what's the point of thousand dollar rims, other than to look cool and **** other people off b/c you have something they don't?

same deal w/ apple monitors. you can say they're ****, and you may be partially right, but no one will believe you when you compare it to dell, considering the aesthetics. apple's pricing is probably pointless, but everybody's got an ego that needs some lovin', including myself.

same deal w/ apple monitors. you can say they're ****, and you may be partially right, but no one will believe you when you compare it to dell

585011763[/snapback]

Not once did I claim that the Apple displays are "****".

They are just severely overpriced, and the Dell is right there to prove the point. You don't need to believe me - the specs and the price speak for themselves.

If you were those classy people who wouldn't mind spending more money for looks. You'd buy Apple.

585011778[/snapback]

I wouldn't call them classy. Shallow, foolish and spoiled would be more appropriate.

The thread seems to be going off-topic with discussions on market-share and other Apple products. Stick to the topic, people - we're talking about the Dell 2005FPW and the Apple display.

People tend to use analogies when they have no real argument. Don't be one of those people.

As ike pointed out, the difference between a Kia and a Mercedes is not just "looks." There is a world of a difference in terms of comfort, features like DVD players, GPS navigation, sound systems, as well as engine performance. The Kia might cost less than the Merc, but apart from the price it offers no advantages over the Merc.

In case of the two displays, the situation is VERY different. The 2005FPW not only costs significantly less, but actually offers tangible advantages over the Apple display. The Merc offers better comfort, features and performance - the 2005FPW offers better display quality, and S-Video/PiP support. The only advantage the Apple display offers is "looks."

Take a look at Huezo's post, for instance:

Do you see any real Mercedes-like advantages in there? It's all just looks and show. When you're considering a display, what's more important? Better picture quality and more value for money, or an aluminium frame and white cables? According to Huezo, it's the latter.

No, you didn't. Like Chad said, you chose Apple. Your decision was obviously based only on externals, rather than real advantages. What you do with your money is not my concern, but just remember that you're only shooting yourself in the foot. The fact that you're willing to pay almost double the price for a display that has lower specs than a lower-priced competitor just gives Apple the chance to get away with it. If people stopped buying Apple displays, Apple would be forced to reduce prices, only making it better for customers. I don't understand how someone wouldn't want that. It suprises me.

Remember, it's not just the question of price difference; we're talking about REAL advantages that the Dell has over the Apple. If Apple offered a monitor with better specs than the Dell for a higher price than the Dell, this thread wouldn't even exist.

Chad was talking about the Airport Extreme router, not the Airport Express, or the internal wireless cards. What he says is absolutely true. Competing wireless routers offered by Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc. work out-of-the-box, just like the Airport Extreme does. In many cases, they even offer more configurability and better range (dual antennae). Yet, the AE is priced higher, again simply because of the Apple sticker and the "pristine looks" - and Apple customers continue to buy them. This is what it surprising all of us.

585010644[/snapback]

Pretty much what I was going to say.

Topic Justified. Price, Quality and Performance all side with Dell there. How can anyone dispute that?

That alone is the rediculous reason why you DON"T spend $500.00 for looks.

My 2001FP is better than most montiors around. Though its not the 2005FPW its just about the same. The Black Border and Dell Logo matter NOTHING TO ME.

I do not drool over the looks, I drool over the screen!

585011726[/snapback]

Bingo.

If you function better with OS X, obviously the price difference will be worth it for you. But just to buy something for looks over functionality, or because it's an Apple...well that's just odd.

as something of an aside (and I am aware it was almostt certainly product placement) can anyone think of a good example of Apple product appearing in the Movies?

I ask because I remember seeing Dell laptops prominently positioned in the remake of "The Italian Job"..... Strange thing, totally weird, but they actually looked pretty cool there too :woot:

Anyway - I'll get back out of this thread now :whistle:

Sure,

Joey - Saw a new Apple Studio display (think it was the 23" one) at one of his interview things.

Legally Blonde - she buys one of the old colour G3 iBooks

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Willow has a G3 iBook

Angel - there office has a eMac

and there's loads more that I cannot think of right now.

Smallsville the series uses Alienware though.

If I had the money I would buy the apple hell Id buy 3, they look fantastic and that's the only reason I would ever buy one because they look fantastic, I didn't like the old displays from apple with the see through plastic bezel, so I wouldn't buy one (even though I saw a 17inch one for ?400 second hand in some 1 off computer shop) Apple make pretty things, the design of there displays computers even my airport express & iPod are just amazing.

I bought the iPod purely for its looks, I could have bought a 20GB one from Rio or any of the other companies for cheaper (this is when the iPod 20GB was ?300 with the dock and everything 3rd Gen one) but the iPod just screamed style design and simplicity.

Anyway if you don't want an apple display you don't have to, no one is forcing you, apple have a target market which is clearly not the people who here say "I would never buy that". Its a shame that Apple don't keep updating there displays every time a new enhancement in picture quality comes out but that's apple you just have to wait till the next revision and hope it lasts at least 3 months at the top of the crop.

I'll never understand the fashion fanatics. Heck, I've carried my iriver around for months now. I've had people ask me if it's the new iPod or something. I simply reply, "No, it's not an iPod, it's better," which of course peaks their curiosity. They ask what makes it so good, then I usually say something along the lines of "It gets about twice the battery life, has a radio and voice recorder, comes with a remote and leather case and has superior sund quality." I've convinced 3 of my friends so far to get an iRiver as well. They're great products, but I also do somehting different that in my experiences I've seen very few iPod users do - I tell them the cons and tell them about other players they may want to consider as well. I've always been baffled by Mac fans reluctance to give reasons why they like their favoured products and / or admit when another product is superior in a specific way. You could go make a pol saying which do you prefer, iRiver or iPod...and why?, and I guarantee you many of the iPod favoring replies will be somehting along the lines of, "iPod rules," "iriver sucks," "ipod is waaay better" and so forth. Of course this doesn't hold true for all fans, but it's somehting that to me seems especially prevelant in mac users on forums I visit.

Take this thread for example. you have users confidently saying they bought apple displays because they are of higher quality, when in fact all specifications and product facts state that a moniter half its price has it beat. It seems many Mac fans refuse to admit when their product is inferior. I don't understand why they have such a problem with this, it doesn't mean their choice was wrong, everyone is free to choose whatever product they want. If you want to spend 500$ on a lesser quality moniter simply so it matches your existing hardware or looks more professional in your opinion, go for it. I think it's a stupid choice, but it's yours to make, not mine. That's all that needs to be said. Yes, Apple over prices their products, and they'll probably only stop doing this if their sales plummet low enough to warrant such actions. I doubt this will be happening, as Mac users seem brainwashed to be hard coded to deny facts, spec sheets and logic, and simply buy their adored products. If that's what they want to do, mor epower to them, bu tI don't see why they can't simply buy what they like, but admit there are better products out there. The former I think is ignorant, the latter, while I think it's a poor choice, isn't anyhting to complain about.

Mac users seem brainwashed to be hard coded to deny facts, spec sheets and logic.

585014811[/snapback]

Most of us here are not 100% Mac users, most have both Windows / Mac based computers and can give unbiased opinions, the iPod may not have flashy features like the Rio and iRivier and so forth, but its the daddy it came out first it started the whole MP3 Hard Drive ball rolling, all its competitors have been piling on the features to try and get in on some of that Market Share.

HP have managed to get in on it by having there own branded iPod's and iRiver are also getting in on the "name" by adding the lower case i to the front of iRivier.

1 thing you have to admit is that the iPod has a better user interface better looks and is overall easier to use when syncing songs / playing songs etc. And look at the iPod Photo 60GB and has song album art :o astounding.

If someone offered me a 40GB iRivier or rio or what ever, vs my 3rd gen 20GB iPod I would pick my iPod every time. :yes: You mite think that's stupid but this is not brand loyalty (some of apples stuff really is total crap) I just think the iPod is perfection.

On the screen side of things.. the Apple displays are just 1 companies offering.

Thank you! That is possibly the first and only convincing reason I have seen in this thread. Going to someone else because you had a bad experience with a certain company sounds justifiable enough.

585011583[/snapback]

My reason is perfectly valid. If a company gets a large multi-milliondollar contract for Apple to provide them with G5 desktops, the odds of them going to Dell (or any other company) for a monitor is slim to none. Most companies will build on existing contracts and business relationships both for ease of deployment as well as ease of support (if ANY aspect of their system fails, be it pcs, os, or monitors, they simply call Apple)

as Mac users seem brainwashed to be hard coded to deny facts, spec sheets and logic, and simply buy their adored products.

585014811[/snapback]

Because let me tell you, the Apple haters are all totally rational and present great arguments 100% of the time

Good lord... This is still going on? :sleep: Look, if you don't like the price then don't buy them. What i'm saying is looks are a VERY important part of a purchase. I for one cannot stand when things are not matching. Back when I had a pc I would pay extra for the black drives when they were significantly more than the beige. I would pay more for the black monitor, keyboard, and mouse; though the beige may have more features etc. IN FACT, one of the major reasons I switched was due to looks. Though you can skin XP, I hated the inconsistencies. So as you can see LOOKS are very important. I would rather not have a G5 than to have one with a Dell display. It's just ugly sitting next to it and it makes me sick because it does not match at all. :x I may be unique, crazy, or whatever you want to call me, but that is how i feel and will always feel. :/ I may be a bit extreme and think different from the pack. Therefore, Mac was the perfect switch :)

Good lord... This is still going on? :sleep: Look, if you don't like the price then don't buy them. What i'm saying is looks are a VERY important part of a purchase. I for one cannot stand when things are not matching. Back when I had a pc I would pay extra for the black drives when they were significantly more than the beige. I would pay more for the black monitor, keyboard, and mouse; though the beige may have more features etc. IN FACT, one of the major reasons I switched was due to looks. Though you can skin XP, I hated the inconsistencies. So as you can see LOOKS are very important. I would rather not have a G5 than to have one with a Dell display. It's just ugly sitting next to it and it makes me sick because it does not match at all. :x I may be unique, crazy, or whatever you want to call me, but that is how i feel and will always feel. :/ I may be a bit extreme and think different from the pack. Therefore, Mac was the perfect switch :)

585015246[/snapback]

and you also think that the only difference between kia and mercedes cars is the way they look. (Y)

This topic is getting rather pointless and so in depth I am beginning to forget what happened 2 or 3 pages back. People are entitle to their own beliefs and reasons why to go buy a product. Someone paying $500 more for a aluminium casing may beleive its money well spent. Others may think the complete opposite, threads like these will never end with a winner, but with arguments and people backing up their preferred system with any excuse/point/argument.

This topic has lasted a good 6 pages now of pretty much the same stuff (Dell LCD being better than an Apple LCD). I do honest think this topic should be locked to avoid more pointless comments....

My reason is perfectly valid. If a company gets a large multi-milliondollar contract for Apple to provide them with G5 desktops, the odds of them going to Dell (or any other company) for a monitor is slim to none. Most companies will build on existing contracts and business relationships both for ease of deployment as well as ease of support (if ANY aspect of their system fails, be it pcs, os, or monitors, they simply call Apple)

585015227[/snapback]

That's a very stupid business decision. Paying $600-$800 extra for alimnium casing per machine is not clever. I cannot think of a case where that would be justified.

Apple will does not go lower than their list prices even with 'multi-milliondollar' contracts. For example, the G5 cluster. They had to pay list price for every one of their 1,100 G5s.

Dell will however give you far better deals and also ship on time, something that you can't trust Apple to do.

I mean the fact that people still believe Apple monitor's are 'higher quality' because they cost more is utter BS - the only thing that is 'higher quality' is the casing.

and you also think that the only difference between kia and mercedes cars is the way they look.  (Y)

585015608[/snapback]

Apparently you've missed the point. I can't say it amazes me though. If you think I don't know the difference between Kia and Mercedes I suggest you think again. My family owns several Mercedes, so I think I know what they have in them... :rolleyes: We can go on forever, or we can call it a truce... :sleep:

besides the fact that there was a level of sarcasm in my post, that's the impression i got from this quote...

A car has one basic function. Getting you around. Both a Mercedes and a Kia will successfully get you around.

585008259[/snapback]

which was posted after i explained that cars have many functions beyond getting you around.

yes, i know what you mean (at least, in part) but realize: you get no functional advantage by going from the dell display to the apple display. you get much functional advantage going from kia to mercedes. this is a bad metaphor (to whomever started it)

issue over, i'll not be posting in this thread again.

Can people see the fact that SOME people do spend $500 extra just for the looks? Personally I wouldn't but can people keep an open mind? Seriously, would you give a crap if I went out to buy a cheap Dell and saved $500 or if I went to buy a Apple Display and spent $500 just because I thought it looked good. No, I didn't think so too.

Can people see the fact that SOME people do spend $500 extra just for the looks? Personally I wouldn't but can people keep an open mind? Seriously, would you give a crap if I went out to buy a cheap Dell and saved $500 or if I went to buy a Apple Display and spent $500 just because I thought it looked good. No, I didn't think so too.

585021661[/snapback]

I think the main issue is the percieved 'quality' of Apple displays. I hope this thread has made some people wake up to the fact that if you step out of Steve Jobs reality distortion field for a second these are pretty poor quality 20" panel's compared to stuff that is much cheaper.

Apple displays look fantastic, picture quality is great IMO, I'm not a screen laser corrector I cant see a difference.

Is the Dell better on paper? Yes.

Does the Dell LOOK better in person? No

Is the Dell more functional? Yes

Would I *want* to buy the Dell over the Apple? No

Would I buy the Dell? Yes

I think its the same for most people here.

I think the main issue is the percieved 'quality' of Apple displays. I hope this thread has made some people wake up to the fact that if you step out of Steve Jobs reality distortion field for a second these are pretty poor quality 20" panel's compared to stuff that is much cheaper.

585022075[/snapback]

Did you ever stop to think that to some people quality means more than just specs? A lot of people value design and the look and feel of a product whatever it may be. Not everyone is interested in specs, why can't you understand this?

Someone please close this thread. I can't believe you guys are all still going around and around on this topic. Value is in the eye of the consumer. If I had a Mac, I would certainly not use a Dell display, and vice versa. Does anyone care about price? Well, I did when 15" LCD monitors used to cost $2500.

NetRyder, I hope you read your TomsHardware.com. Monitors are more than just their specs. Run the full gambit of tests on everything Apple and Dell make, and see for yourself that the results won't be what you expect. Monitors are not all made alike. If Apple made a monitor to the exact specs of a Dell monitor, there's no way they would get away with the price they sell it for. I won't say you're wrong at all, but I would suggest more homework than the websites for Apple and Dell. Don't knock it until you see them side by side in real-world tests. The results may shock all of you. :devil:

Edited by SpeakNoSparky

Someone please close this thread.  I can't believe you guys are all still going around and around on this topic.  Value is in the eye of the consumer.  If I had a Mac, I would certainly not use a Dell display, and vice versa.  Does anyone care about price?  Well, I did when 15" LCD monitors used to cost $2500.

NetRyder, I hope you read your TomsHardware.com.  Monitors are more than just their specs.  Run the full gambit of tests on everything Apple and Dell make, and see for yourself that the results won't be what you expect.  Monitors are not all made alike.  If Apple made a monitor to the exact specs of a Dell monitor, there's no way they would get away with the price they sell it for.  I won't say you're wrong at all, but I would suggest more homework than the websites for Apple and Dell.  Don't knock it until you see them side by side in real-world tests.  The results may shock all of you. :devil:

585022760[/snapback]

The thing is, Apple doesn't'T make a monitor to the exact specs of Dells, which we all know. They actually sell monitors with specs that are WORSE and they still charge almost double the price. You may want to do a little reading as well. I've seen the 2001 Dell and the 20" Apple side by side (like I said earlier) and the Dell is noticeably better.