Motorla MPx220 (The Long Awaited Review)

well i had cellularone as my provider and they suck balls and with this cingular+at&t thing i figured they own cellularone so i looked into getting a phone and this one just looked so cool..... base price with a contract is $349.00 ..but i went to bestbuy this weekend and got a 300$ mail-in-rebate for it so it will end up being $49 not a bad deal i must say..... and it was only a 1yr contract most require 2yrs to get that kind of deal..... the phone is nice, it has nice color and some cool features, like the windows media player and the activesync for pc/phone talk.. one thing however that does suffer is the camera, if u take pics @ 1900x1200 (max res) they come out horrible.. but if u resize them to phone pics or slighty above phone pics b4 u take then they come out alot better.. also the flash is pretty weak on the phone so its best if you use natural light or a more brighter non-yellow light because then there is a crazy yellow tint to the pics.... the volume could also be a little louder specially on the speakerphone... dont get me wrong its decent but its not like a normal speakerphone where u can set it down and walk away and talk, but then again this is after all a cellphone.. the phone it self has a 200mhz processor and has 32mb of internal memory expandable by a miniSD slot... i got a 256mb miniSD card cuz i planned on putting mp3 ringtones on here and such....keep in mind this is miniSD not fullsize SD so the biggest card atm is 256mb and it runs around 55$, i am quickly filling that card up to because of the stuff i am installing for the phone (as you'll notice in screen shots)..... all in all the phone is pretty good and id give it a rating of 3.5/5 because they could work on the volume and camera :| .....id recommend this phone because it is every nice and battery life is decent but not very very long.....also the 2 antennas is a nice feature altho dont really matter if ur in a city :p ...another thing to note, activesync is a bitch to get working took me almost a 5hrs to figure out why it wouldnt take my outlook inbox then out of nowhere it did :p

i kno ive missed some things so ill update as i remember... ne questions feel free to ask...

so now for the pics!

phone01.jpg

phone02.jpg

phone03.jpg

phone04.jpg

phone05.jpg

phone06.jpg

phone07.jpg

phone08.jpg

phone09.jpg

phone10.jpg

phone11.jpg

phone12.jpg

phone13.jpg

phone14.jpg

phone15.jpg

phone16.jpg

phone17.jpg

phone18.jpg

phone19.jpg

phone20.jpg

[

Wow, thats nice! I'm on AT&T wireless, and since this merger thing, is it possible for me to buy a Cingular phone and use my AT&T sim card ?

585002818[/snapback]

Yes you can use the Cingular phones with your ATT SIM card

How's your regular (non-speakerphone) volume? Ring volume is also ridiculously low.

I got one over the weekend also. I have some of the volume issues that have reported on various websites. This is even with latest firmware. Will have to look into getting it replaced I guess.

Other than that, a great phone.

I prefer the Audiovox SMT5600. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it works great. I saw the MPx220 in person once and I wasn't very impressed with the quality. The SMT5600 display is better quality and the overall design of the phone is sleeker. The SMT5600 also includes Media Player 10.

You can still get the SMT5600 through former AT&T Wireless stores or by calling. Most places should have some stock left. However, it is very possible that Cingular will begin carrying this phone soon.

Where did you get that leather case at? What firmware revision are you using, .342?

Wow, thats nice! I'm on AT&T wireless, and since this merger thing, is it possible for me to buy a Cingular phone and use my AT&T sim card ?

585002818[/snapback]

You can purchase a MPx220 and use your AT&T sim card since the MPx220 is currently being sold un-locked, but you will have to purchase it at full price since you are not activating new service with Cingular.

Yes you can use the Cingular phones with your ATT SIM card

585002888[/snapback]

NO, this is not true. Only if the Cingular phone is unlocked you can use a AT&T sim card in it.

the razor isnt worth 500$ for a 2yr contract imo so blah.. it is a nice phone tho but to pricey for a motorola

585003965[/snapback]

I agree 100%. The phone is very nice and is solid but I wouldn't pay $500.00 for it.

I prefer the Audiovox SMT5600. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it works great. I saw the MPx220 in person once and I wasn't very impressed with the quality. The SMT5600 display is better quality and the overall design of the phone is sleeker.  The SMT5600 also includes Media Player 10.

You can still get the SMT5600 through former AT&T Wireless stores or by calling. Most places should have some stock left. However, it is very possible that Cingular will begin carrying this phone soon.

585012219[/snapback]

The SMT 5600 is a very nice phone yes but ill have to disagree on your comment on the screen. The screen on the MPx220 is 10x better then the screen of the SMT 5600. Have you seen them side by side?

The screen on the SMT 5600 is a HUGE improvement over the old MPx200 models though.

I heard all of Best Buy's MPX220's had ROM flaws, usually dealing with volume.

I love Smarphones. I have the Audiovox SMT5600, but the MPX220 has a more powerful processor. Lucky! :D

I think they fixed the volume flaws with the most recent firmware .342. They shouldn't be selling one without that firmware.

When the MPx220's first came out there was quite a few flaws, but it looks like they have most of them worked out.

I think they fixed the volume flaws with the most recent firmware .342.  They shouldn't be selling one without that firmware.

When the MPx220's first came out there was quite a few flaws, but it looks like they have most of them worked out.

585023835[/snapback]

Well that's great to hear!

I hope Microsoft allows you to update to Windows Media Mobile 10. It's a huge improvement :D

i got the case from bestbuy its 14.99$ now...its the only case for this phone atm which is gay cuz that silver badge is homo-rotic... the phone is from bestbuy but it has newest firmware so its straight