Ty Willingham coach of Notre Dame Fired

are you serious?????????

dude he's a good coach, as much as i hate ND...

you can't expect someone to change a football team into a west coast offense in less then 3 years...

are you serious?????????

dude he's a good coach, as much as i hate ND...

you can't expect someone to change a football team into a west coast offense in less then 3 years...

585017092[/snapback]

Borges did it at Auburn over the off-season. :woot:

Pretty sad he's fired. I believe this is the first coach at Notre Dame to not finish out his initial contract.

I think every college coach should have at least 4 years that way they can start bringing in their own recruits. Nobody should be expected to be a college coach and be great the first year or two, or three

Borges did it at Auburn over the off-season.  :woot:

Pretty sad he's fired. I believe this is the first coach at Notre Dame to not finish out his initial contract.

585017262[/snapback]

that is correct. he is the first to be fired mid-contract.

i do think it's unfair...

also, only 2 black coaches left in div-1a.

Why fire a coach who won some big games such as the win against Michigan and his win against Tennessee in Knoxville? Bad move by Notre Dame, though Utah's coach is quite good.

Not sure who they'll be able to get to replace him. Seems marquee coaches don't go for ND right away like they used to.

I wonder where Ty will wind up... somewhere out west again perhaps?

why does everyone think meyer is gonna leave utah...he could stay there. then what? there's nobody good left...

since when was ohio state looking for a new coach? there's only one thing you have to do to stay as coach of ohio st., and thats beat michigan, and unfortunately, tressel is pretty good at that...

friggen notre dame thinks its like the should be in any college football picture because of who they are. no one wants to go there because of their, pardon the pun, holier than thou attitude. the thing that ****es me off if that i do believe they gave davie a longer amount of time to fail than they gave willingham. i hope they fail in all their football endeavours.

yep, davie was given the full 4 years i think it was. it's weird though, a lot of big teams are down...florida, florida st, nebraska, ohio st., notre dame...

i just don't know who can do BETTER than willingham...

Their program will head down the gutter anyway. They forget that nowadays, public and private schools are equal and recruits don't care if you are a private school. Years ago, I would agree that recruits preferred private schools like Notre Dame to play sports, but now they fall way behind.

I'm a fan of ND football. I was happy with Willingham. ND had an off year. All teams go through that. Just look at Nebraska, they went from winning 9 or 10 games to being under .500 this year. Even FSU and Florida had off years. This is second biggest mistake ND had made in the last couple of years. The first was hiring that coach that cheated on his resume.

Bob Davie had longer than 4 years, I believe. I think he had a 6 year contract - he had some good seasons and not so good seasons.

Anyway, this is crap. I cannot believe that the bright minds (and we all have to admit, ND is an intelligent university) did not learn from the debacle that the University of Florida made this year. Zook sucked, he never was going to lead UF back to the top 10, but to only have 2 1/2 seasons is ridiculous.

Zook and Willingham both have true sophomore QBs (Chris Leak and Brady Quinn). Both are good quarterbacks but are young. Both coaches have completely revamped the offensive schemes so most of the players from the previous coaching staff are on a learning curve as well. Zook has had 2 solid recruiting classes and Willingham looks like he found the next great Irish running back (Darius Walker), not to mention, Brady Quinn's numbers are completely turned around from last year.

Snobjobs on both of them. I can't believe my 2 favorite football teams are this stupid. I have supported ND every year by going to either the USC or Stanford game when they come to California. My fiance and I just bought tickets yesterday to the Insight.com Bowl to watch them in Phoenix. I'll be there with a big poster supporting Ty Willingham.

Great coach, great person.

There are 4 options for Notre Dame:

Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Butch Davis, and Jon Gruden.

Meyer looks like the best choice just because hes so attractive to the school, and it's part of his roots. Stoops and Gruden you would have to pull hard away from other respective teams also because Gruden just signed a 16 m over 4 yrs deal in offseason, but its part of his roots too.

Butch Davis was very sucessful at the college level but did pretty bad in the NFL but was surrounded by subpar players, some of that he brought on himself, but again has a very good college resume, a la Spurrier.

Its def possible that Stoops will stay in OK, Davis goes to Fla. and Meyer goes to Notre Dame.

Willinghams not a great coach but was a good fill-in for the problem they causes by hiring O'Leary and firing him shortly thereafter. Urban Meyers ressurected 2 programs in 4 years (Bowling Green and Utah) Could possibly see Ty going to the Vacant BYU spot. Also rumors that Saban of LSU might be going to fill in the Browns head coaching spot.

Also, Notre Dames gotta lower their academic standards if they want a sucessful team, requiring a very high SAT score is no way to recruit football players, Any dummy can get into these bigtime schools....Notre Dames got the tools to entice any HS player just on the fact that every one of their games is televised nationally.

I think any coach inconsideration should just say no to Notre Dame. Unless they produce a National Champion immediately, they are gone. Why put up with the stress? Same think happened with Solich in Nebraska. They give you winning records, and you boot them. With the insane schedule that the Irish play, firing Ty was unacceptable.