Meyer to Florida

Here is one of the thousands of articles about the subject:

The University of Florida has offered its coaching job to Urban Meyer, who accepted today, ESPN.com's Pat Forde has learned.

Florida papers reported the offer to Meyer, who has coached Utah to a 11-0 season and a BCS bowl bid, on their Web sites Friday morning.

"It could be any minute," UF president Dr. Bernie Machen told The Palm Beach Post earlier today. "I'm waiting for an e-mail."

When asked about the report, Utah athletic director Chris Hill, deferred.

"My position is to let the other parties in these things -- the schools and the coach -- speak for themselves," Hill said. "Any kind of confirmation would have to come from other sources."

When pressed, Hill offered no further comment.

Meyer met with his players Thursday and told them what schools are pursuing him, but he would not be specific when asked about the meeting.

"There's too many things involved right now to have any comments," Meyer said after a practice at Utah's new indoor practice field.

Florida officials were in Utah on Thursday, as were Notre Dame officials.

Meyer will replace Ron Zook, who was fired but coached the team through the end of the season.

The Utah coach has said he wants to coach the Utes in their bowl game. Zook has not yet decided whether he will coach the Gators in the Peach Bowl.

Utah is expected to consider offensive coordinator Mike Sanford and defensive coordinator Kyle Whittingham to replace Meyer.

Basically, and as we all know, Florida was the better job offer. Money, potential, style. Its all here. Begin the urban planning. Hehe.

Excellent, I like having all the best competition in the SEC. I was sorry to see Zook go, he did an ok job, but I'm glad Spurrier is back and that a good coach will be taking over at UF.

Zook may not be going far. We may still get to keep him in the SEC at Ole Miss. Either that or he will be off to Illinois.

SEC all the way baby.

sad day for ND football. a guy who coached on your staff, and always dreamed of coaching you, decides to pass you up.

honestly though, meyer is a good coach, but he's not a miracle worker. there will be an infinte amount of pressure on him at florida, where at utah there was literally none. who knows how he will perform on a big stage.

i wouldn't be surprised if they went after butch davis.

585038044[/snapback]

I would be, since the overwhelming rumor is that he is gonna sit out a year.

Meyer did say it himself. Watch ESPN or go to their webpage.

585037222[/snapback]

Damn -- I saw it on ESPN shortly after I posted that, too :laugh:

I would have hoped he'd at least not confirm it until after their bowl game... now what the hell are the Utah players going to play like.

UF is in the same position. there is an NCAA rule about a limit of coache, and meyer cant go to UF till zook is out. so right now, we cant recruit for next year until after the bowl because zook is coaching it. its a really messy situation.