New system.

90.73 difference, much better machine :).

Congratulations on getting an AMD 64 PC!

I'm sure you will love that machine! And you can go all the way up to 3700 on that socket as well. I'd say you're good for sometime now.

Nice alterations :).

The second system is much more capable, but I still think you'd be better off with a different vid card. Not to mention that $140 for a 9600xt is waay to much at this point (I sold my 9800pro for $150).

The second system is much more capable, but I still think you'd be better off with a different vid card.  Not to mention that $140 for a 9600xt is waay to much at this point (I sold my 9800pro for $150).

585054196[/snapback]

Either way it will be a huge gain on my part. Right now I'm running a worthless 1.3 P4 256mb ddram, and a pitty 32mb video card.

-Where would you recommend on getting the cheapest parts then?

Newegg. Hard to beat their prices, man. In any case, check Pricewatch. Before ordering from the sites they list, make sure you check www.reselletratings.com to check if that store is reliable. Newegg and GameVE are both quite reliable and both have great prices :D

I just don't think the 9600xt makes much sense at it's current price point. It's yesterday's "Mainstream" card and it's still at that price point. If you're not overclocking (and possibly even if you are) I would suggest that you go with a slightly cheaper mainboard. Look into Epox's Nforce 3 lineup. You can pick up a 160gb 8Mb cache drive for $50AR at Outpost, sure it's a bit more before the rebate, but it's faster and outpost is good with rebates.

If you save on both of those components you should save enough to pick up a 9800pro (or even a 6600gt AGP). You will be MUCH happier with it.

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe120304&sku=4008242

I just don't think the 9600xt makes much sense at it's current price point.  It's yesterday's "Mainstream" card and it's still at that price point. 

If you save on both of those components you should save enough to pick up a 9800pro (or even a 6600gt AGP).  You will be MUCH happier with it.

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe120304&sku=4008242

585054293[/snapback]

The thing is, none of the new cards go for $150. Right now, there are just two cards at that price point : the 9600CT for AGP and the 6600 non GT for PCI-E. What choice does he have? Sure, if he can get his hands on a 9500Pro/9700Pro, it would be perfect, but those are discontinued.

That's kinda where I was going with saving a bit off other components and putting it toward the video card. There's just nothing great out there right now at the $150 price point (for AGP anyway).

The 9600xt is probably acceptable, but you're going to start to feel how slow it is in games like HL2 and Far Cry. A slighlty faster card would be a better investment.

The thing is, none of the new cards go for $150. Right now, there are just two cards at that price point : the 9600CT for AGP and the 6600 non GT for PCI-E. What choice does he have? Sure, if he can get his hands on a 9500Pro/9700Pro, it would be perfect, but those are discontinued.

585054307[/snapback]

You can get a PowerColor 9800 SE and softmod it to a regular 9800 for under $150. Even if it didn't softmod it'd still be faster than the 9600XT. That's what I'd get. Also, Soyo is a crap motherboard manufacturer. I think they're getting out of the motherboard business too.