Problems OCing a P4 2.4C

Okay, I have a P4 2.4C 30 capper CPU, and I just got my watercooling from dangerden so I thought it was time for some mad OCing, but everytime I set the FSB to 250mhz with a 5:4 ratio on my ram (to keep it DDR400) windows xp wont start. I tried changing the VCORE as high as 1.7 and the ram is at 1.7 as well. I have the AGP/PCI locked at 66/33 and I don't know why windows xp inst loading. Sometimes when I boot at that speed, I get a message from the BIOS saying that an IDE 80 connector is unpluged or somthing like that. My guess is that by overclocking the mobo i'ts screwing up somthing with my IDE harddrives, but I'm not sure. What do you think I should do?

RAM Should be 2.8V.

Start at 215MHz FSB.

If your running 5:4, then make sure you manually set your RAM Latency to stock (2.5-3-3-6 - According to your signature)

Once it boots up sucessfully at 215MHz FSB then restart and try 220MHz, then 225MHz then 230MHz. See how far you can get at STOCK vCore Voltage. When she wont boot up sucessfully, increase your vCore then (And only then) in one step incriments.

First of all, I don't see why you need to set your CPU:RAM ratio as 5:4....it should be at 1:1. Your ram should be at 2.8V and vcore at 1.6v. AGP/PCI locked at 66/33 as you've already done. Turn off all "Turbo" modes if you have any currently enabled. If it still doesn't boot...it could be another hardware holding it back (weak PSU, bad ram, bad mobo).

First of all, I don't see why you need to set your CPU:RAM ratio as 5:4....it should be at 1:1.  Your ram should be at 2.8V and vcore at 1.6v. AGP/PCI locked at 66/33 as you've already done. Turn off all "Turbo" modes if you have any currently enabled. If it still doesn't boot...it could be another hardware holding it back (weak PSU, bad ram, bad mobo).

585053048[/snapback]

I have to put it at 5:4 cous my ram isn't all that great, I don't think it could stay 1:1 at 250mhz. but anyway, i'm going to go play with my BIOS some more, i'll let you guys know what's up in a min.

See how far you can get at STOCK vCore Voltage. When she wont boot up sucessfully, increase your vCore then (And only then) in one step incriments.

585051194[/snapback]

I got up to 238mhz b4 windows would go to the fatal blue screen of death after a few mins of running. That's at stock 1.52 VCORE, now it's running at 240mhz at 1.55 VCORE, and i'ma keep trying to push it higher.

did you use the pci/agp lock? Also how far can you go on stock volts? Maybe your CPU is just one of those "duds" and wont overclock for squat.

Did you even read his post?

Did you even read his post?

585053299[/snapback]

Uh yeah i did.... and it is locked at 66/33 but if your implying it might be a dud, well that is very well possible, but I have not come to that conclusion yet. Right now I am at 2.91ghz with it, (242mhz x 12 at 1.625v)

What's the highest I should increase the vCore to? 1.7? or lower?

EDIT: I hit 3.0ghz stable at 1.7vcore, my temps are like 40* C and it seems to be running fine. Idk how much more it can take tho.

Edited by r4esh

OC.JPG

hehehe, after I got my new watercooling from danger den I pushed my 2.4c 30 capper to 3.2ghz and my water never goes above room temp. I love it! 800mhz + OC. I am very pleased.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be needing to change my sig. :D

Wow thats incredible OC you got there...

DO some benchies?

585053899[/snapback]

Not yet, but It's been running at 3.2ghz for an hour so far without any problems and i'ma bench it with 3dmark03 in a little bit.

EDIT: Almost for got, here are my watercooling pics... it's a little ghetto rigged, but once I get my new case it'll all be internal.

PIC 01

PIC 02

PIC 03

PIC 04

1. Dont use 1.7Volts SNDS can occur and that chip might just die, unless you have Vapo which you dont. If you dont want to listen go ahead and when that chip dies dont ask why.

2. Like i said the chip might just not like to go up to 3ghz, which you want.

3. Stay at 2.91 with vcore at 1.625 for the added heat/risk that 1.7 adds its pointless.

4. Try and see what you can get at 1.65vcore, 3.0 should be stable if not a little less.

I had my 2.4c @ 3.4 for a while but it'd constantly crap out on my after a month of use or so. It's down to 3.0ghz now because I think I am slowly killing the cpu, or my RAM is just not holding up. Air cooling at around 45c.

I guess I should go back and do some reconfiguring.