Athlon XP2400+ at 200fsb?

I have an Athlon 2400+ on an Abit NF7-s motherboard. As you know the 2400 has a native FSB of 266mhz x 15 multiplier for a clock of 2ghz. I currently run it at 333 x 12 so that it runs synchronously with my DDR333 Kingmax memory but remains at 2g. It's about 12% faster that way and doesn't need any extra volts or get any hotter, which is important as I only have the stock cooler.

I want to add more memory to my system, but don't want to invest in anymore pc2700. If I were to add a gig of DDR400 and remove the DDR333, would I be able to wind the FSB up to 200 and drop the multiplier still further (down to 10) to keep the chip at the standard 2ghz yet working synchronously with the memory? Would the chip be able to handle that? Or would there be other problems? The NF7 is designed to handle 200/400 FSB.

Thanks

as long as your board can handle it (it can) then youd be fine... the cpu speed isnt changing, just the multi.. so youre good to go... then you could possibly go higher than 200 assuming you buy quality ram (i think your board maxes out at 235) and get higher than 2GHz... try it out!

ah yes, heres the deal... your 2400+ runs at 133x15.... since youve increased it to 166x12 then technically you have a 2500+... and if you raise it to a 200x10 then youd have a 2600+.... all a the same clock speed... pretty cool. im assuming you have a thoroughbred or palamino right? how did you change the multi?? the pin trick or whatever?

i was using uamd tool for the stuff above and if it's a barton then the specs dont check out, thats why i ask. a barton 2400 runs at 1795MHz (133x13.5) or 166x10.5

Thanks for all your responses.

The NF7 unlocks all athlon processors automatically as it is designed for overclocking. The 2400 is a Thoroughbred "B" core unless I am mistaken.

Do you think there would be a worthwhile performance increase running the CPU @ 200x10?. Thing is I can spend 140 dollars (Australian) on one stick of DDR333 add it to my current setup and have one gig of ram (dual channel). I'd have to spend twice that (near 300 dollars) to get 1 gig of DDR400. Do you think the performance increase of running 200x10 (I'm hoping for another 10 percent) would justify the expense? I am wary of pushing the clock speed any higher than 2g because all my experiments on this chip seem to show that it doesn't want to go past about 2088 and still be reliable for video encoding.

Also does anyone know if DDR400 will be at all useful in 1 to 1.5 year's time when my next upgrade is due? Or will I have to buy ram all over again.

Just looking for "bang for buck".

well, all i have to say is if you have the money then it would def. be worth it to get 1GB dual channel DDR400... cause if you just get one stick of 333 then youre running dual channel but obviously still at 333...

i use a little tool called uamd tool. it's kinda hard to find but if you just search on google you'll find it... just make sure to set your cpu type before flipping the dials around.