Plasma or LCD

I am looking at TVs...not to buy right now but in the future for the Digital TV "revolution" and I like the look of a massive Plasma. Don't know much about Plasma technology but I do have an LCD monitor and like it. A plasma TV would look really cool - probably won't get it until a couple of years after I buy a house so just keeping my options open :)

Just in general...what are the differences between Plasma and LCD...which is better overall??? I do notice that Plasma is more expensive but I am a person of fine taste. They are very stylish. As a hard working person I would really appreciate coming home to a TV that could hang on a wall :)

dont go with plasma's resolution is bad.

LCD's are the "Newest" thing. Someone is bound to give you the techie stuff.

Plasma should be cheaper, in the UK it is. I would proberly spend little money on a LCD and then wait for HDTV (not available in the UK)

Right thats cool.....I forgot about that HDTV as we never hear about it in the UK and have no idea what it is like obviously! Just wanted to get knowledge on a thing I don't know much about really...thanks

TBH. i wouldnt wait for HDTV, althought the US has it, we will be waiting for years before BBC etc broadcast in it, there only just getting round to doing widescreen!

Go buy yourself a 32" LCD TFT and wall mount it, it should set you up for a couple of years if not more knowning the UK !

Im thinking of getting a LCD - just the cost is high!!!!

yeah, LCD is the "newest" thing - and it also has a GREAT resolution and picture quality.

just make sure that it's Liquid Crystal and not Light Crystal. You get better color definition with Liquid Crystal (to me at least).

dont go with plasma's resolution is bad.

LCD's are the "Newest" thing. Someone is bound to give you the techie stuff.

Plasma should be cheaper, in the UK it is. I would proberly spend little money on a LCD and then wait for HDTV (not available in the UK)

585067251[/snapback]

You have it the exact oppicite of what is should be. Plasmas are newer, and more expencive.

If youre goinmg to get a plasma get the Pioneer Purevision series

for LCD get the Sharp Aquos series

I'd recommend the later basically because of burn-in and true black

i dont like projectors. I have 2 and really there a pain, you have to have space to set them up and they have to turn on.

Its not just like a tv where you turn it on. i dont suggest getting a projector unless you are happy with config'ing it all the time and replacing bulbs every year

Just in case you know how to tell the difference...

When you tocuh Liquid Crystal Display screens, they like 'change color' in the sport where your finger is (kind of like magnets on a CRT). With Light Crystal Display, nothing happens when you touch them.

As said before, Liquid Crystal give better color definition to me. A projector is also a good idea. Just that It'll be hard to conect your DVD, Xbox/PS2/GC and that stuff to it.

You have it the exact oppicite of what is should be. Plasmas are newer, and more expencive.

585067309[/snapback]

how can this be? LCD's offer a higher resolution and sharper picture quality. i have always steared clear of plasmas!

Well in my extensive eloctronics browsing experience at Best Buy..if money is no object, without a doubt I would buy a Plasma Screen television. The good ones are like a window to the world compared to everything else. I guess it's all a matter of opinion though.

Plasma's look better overall (better black lvls and color) and are bigger (60-61" limit). But they age faster and have lower resolutions (1280x720 and 1366x768). Also, plasmas burn in pretty quick while lcds can't burn in at all.

LCD's tend to have worse picture quality overall (not so great in the black lvls) and are smaller (45-46" limit). But they last longer, and the 45-46" models can have resolutions up to 1920x1080 (the smaller ones are the same resolutions as plasmas). Also, they don't break when tipped over, heh.

If you aren't buying right now this kind of lacks a point. TV tecnology evolves pretty quickly, and in time 1080p will be considered hdtv; 1080i and 720p are gonna fade away in the future.

def. lcd. just too many serious cons for plasma. lcds are getting bigger too, we are coming out with a 55" in about 6 months i think.

when you say lcd looks worse than plasma, to me thats saying a bmw is worse than a mercedes or something...yes, it's worse, but it's still very very very good.

There really aren't that many cons with plasma tvs anymore. The newer models take into account burn in and can prevent that from happening at all, also Plasma TV's offer better picture quality due to the technology involved. Granted, one problem is if you live in high altitudes then go with LCD instead.

Oh yea, as far as resolution, unless you're going to hook up your computer, it doesn't really make much difference when used as a tv.

Edited by lawtai

I'd personally stick with LCD for the time being because:

LCD TVs don't degrade in pic quality as fast as plasmas do.

Because I usually watch TV in a well lit room and natural day light so LCD suits my needs because of it's nice brightness unlike plasmas which seem to be darker and have rough patches. I like the fact that LCDs also don't require the extreme handling care like plasmas do and LCD TVs are far less energy consuming than plasmas and run a lot cooler too.

But the uk sucks and I want HDTV it's just like Japan to have it back in the early 90's :wacko:

do plasmas still have heat issues and use fans?  that would bug me too.

585069619[/snapback]

my uncle has a 3 year old plasma and his doesnt have fans...

GET A LCD IF U MUST GET A FLAT TV. "The plasmas are just a hype, kinda like the ipod, and they are really bad unless you pay alot of money for them"

semi quote from bangbang023

hmm, i heard a lot have fans, cuz of the heat generated by the gas, or something like that. the energy consumption is better for LCDs too, a lot better i believe.