[help] Adding a WiFi router to a Network

Question

Yazoo

I am trying to add a wireless router to my network. I have attached an image of how it looks.

I can access the internet from all the attached hardware. Except from within the Linksys router. I can ping all the IP's on my LAN from it but not the internet. Have I connected it wrong, any help is welcome.

post-2058-1103043923.jpg

4 answers to this question

TurboTuna

make sure your linksys is not connected through any modem ports, if that makes sence, make sure they only go into pots that have numbers not the one ment for a modem

N1CK

You really need an access point, not another router.

Can the WRT54GS act as an access point only? That would INSTANTLY solve your problem.

Otherwise, you need to make sure that the default gateway of the WRT54G is set to 192.168.1.1, and it will fix-ish your problem. (Which is NAT over NAT)

I would suggest changing the kit if possible.

If you HAVE to keep the router and run it with NAT enabled. Make sure you DMZ 192.168.1.2 from the "ADSL NAT Router" and in turn set the WRT54GS to DMZ to 192.168.1.40. You will NOT in this configuration be able to talk from the XBOX to the other two pc's and vice-versa.

cpugeniusmv

just make sure not to use the WAN port on the linksys, and then just disable the dhcp server on the linksys.

Yazoo

changing the hardware is not an option. I do not use the WAN port of the Linksys or the DHCP server.

It routes the internet fine from the ADSL/router to the XBOX. I just can't ping outside the LAN from within the Linksys.