[Linux Forum Poll] Merging Threads?

Should I merge every new thread that asks [i]Which Linux Distro to Install[/i]?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should I merge every new thread that asks [i]Which Linux Distro to Install[/i]?

• Yes! These things pollute the Open Source forum!
    • Only the simple ones that give no details, leave the ones that are specific about preferences or usage as separate threads.
    • No! There are too many individual needs that will get lost in the large "definitive" thread.
    • Don't count my vote! I am a habitual Poll-voter, and will cast votes even if I have no valid opinion about a poll. :P

We are due for a Linux Forum poll, so I have a good one that will help moderate this section!

We get occasional (and sometimes several at once) threads started asking which distro to try. I often leave these as separate threads, as I don't want some users to be ignored if we have a few active threads on this at the same time (I feel it would make the definitive thread confusing with several people asking questions specific to each of their individual needs).

However, we need to balance this against the need to keep some organization in the Open Source forum.

Here is your chance to play moderator! :D How do you feel about this? Post supporting opinions to make your point, too, if you want to clarify your opinions on this.

Please only vote for a "real" option if you participate in this forum. I put the last option in for those who like to vote anyway, but aren't Open Source users or don't really care. :)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

I don't think this forum suffers from a flood of posts everyday like the hardware and software forums do. Seems like my post maybe lasts a couple of hours on the front pages of those forums.

Nevertheless it does seem like we get a lot of repeat questions and repeat polls. I think that is due to new users not being sure how up-to-date the sticky's are in regards to the new development in OSS. I'm not sure if there is a cure. But what one poll shows this week, will likely change in about 3 months due to newer distros and distro versions. There seems to be a lot of "flavah of the week" in the Linux world.

You could have a poll with discussion on different opinions etc. This way, the information will all be on the same thread as the poll.

Another possibility is having new poll+discussions every quarter or 1/2 year to keep the discussion fresh and to see trends across time (if it interests you).

As mentioned by nic, neowin's linux discussion forums aren't swamped, no need to worry about data and discussion separation yet...

I also agree with nic about the stickies and how they need to be revised. Some of the information is pretty dated or non-exsistant? I guess it's because Neowin doesn't have a lot of users who use linux.

Another possibility is having new poll+discussions every quarter or 1/2 year to keep the discussion fresh and to see trends across time (if it interests you).

585106229[/snapback]

I was going to 'retire' the existing poll/thread on "which Linux distro?" for the new year. Kind of like we do monthly for the "post your desktop" thread. But, perhaps (as you mentioned) a more frequent update is in order. Maybe every 6 months... </me ponders>

I was going to 'retire' the existing poll/thread on "which Linux distro?" for the new year.  Kind of like we do monthly for the "post your desktop" thread.  But, perhaps (as you mentioned) a more frequent update is in order.  Maybe every 6 months... </me ponders>

585106520[/snapback]

Or maybe a "what's your linux flavor of the month"? :laugh:

I was going to 'retire' the existing poll/thread on "which Linux distro?" for the new year.  Kind of like we do monthly for the "post your desktop" thread.  But, perhaps (as you mentioned) a more frequent update is in order.  Maybe every 6 months... </me ponders>

585106520[/snapback]

Please have a common entry for "Debian and Debian children (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis)" so Debian votes don't get splintered all over the place. I mean really, once the thing is installed, what is the difference?

Please have a common entry for "Debian and Debian children (Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mepis)" so Debian votes don't get splintered all over the place.  I mean really, once the thing is installed, what is the difference?

585106626[/snapback]

I think I am going to leave them separated as they are, but do something like:
  • Ubuntu (Debian-based)
  • Knoppix (Debian-based)
  • Debian (or other Debian child)

That will keep the Debian family together for easy visual reference to its popularity, yet separate it out enough so that the most popular children get the recognition they deserve.

Forget merging them, just delete them with extreme prejudice

585108640[/snapback]

I'm agreeing with this strategy...I think that the Definitive thread should be sufficient to cover all of our suggestions and thoughts on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

The people have spoken. And, thusly they have spake:

From this point forward, new threads that ask "which distro" but give no information on what they have looked at, or what specific (and non-trivial) needs they are looking to meet shall be merged into the one true thread.

New threads that give specific requirements outside of web browsing, email and so forth will be left separate.