How do you say Beta?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say Beta?

• Bay-ta
    • Bee-ta

Yeah, Americans are strange like that.

They say "eye-rak" for "Iraq".

They say "rou-ter" instead of "Router".

They say "vy-tamins" instead of "Vitamins".

They say "muk one" instead of "Mach One".

They say "Mo-bol" instead of "Mobile".

And they can't even pronounce "Basil" they say "bay-zal"!

:rofl:

Honestly, I think us Brits need to teach them how to talk properly again. And BTW, we invented the language, you lot butchered it! :p

585130421[/snapback]

I totally agree.

Just to be clear though: the correct way to pronounce 'router' is 'roo-ter'. Americans pronounce the 'ou' like the 'ow' in 'cow'.

Like this

Duh.

585146873[/snapback]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=beta

:rolleyes:

585147011[/snapback]

how many more people are gonna post AMERICAN dictionaries as the definative answer? dictionary.reference.com has come up about three times now, and if you take a look @ any British English Dictionaries (like say the Oxford Dictionary) it quite clearly states that the correct pronounciation is bee-ta. But its all a moot point as the only reliable source is from a Greek dictionary, other than that each country has developed their own pronounciation based on the trends of their accent.

how many more people are gonna post AMERICAN dictionaries as the definative answer?  dictionary.reference.com has come up about three times now, and if you take a look @ any British English Dictionaries (like say the Oxford Dictionary) it quite clearly states that the correct pronounciation is bee-ta.  But its all a moot point as the only reliable source is from a Greek dictionary, other than that each country has developed their own pronounciation based on the trends of their accent.

585147069[/snapback]

Exactly. (Y)

how many more people are gonna post AMERICAN dictionaries as the definative answer?  dictionary.reference.com has come up about three times now, and if you take a look @ any British English Dictionaries (like say the Oxford Dictionary) it quite clearly states that the correct pronounciation is bee-ta.  But its all a moot point as the only reliable source is from a Greek dictionary, other than that each country has developed their own pronounciation based on the trends of their accent.

585147069[/snapback]

they also pronounce aluminum as aliminium... :p

• 3 weeks later...
they also pronounce aluminum as aliminium... :p

585147172[/snapback]

Actually sorry to revive this thread, but aluminum was orignally spelt with one I, as in aluminum... but the brits decided to change the spelling to have two eyes, like aluminium, so it'd follow a lot of the other elements with -ium ending...

Anyways that's why a lot of people still pronounce (and spell) it aLUminum with stress on capital LU, rather than British aluMINium

That's what I was told!

For everyone in the UK and everywhere else in the world, take this from an professional QA Engineer and former Microsoft employee, it's pronounced "Bay-ta". I live in the Seattle area, pretty much the high-tech capitol of the world (besides Silicon Vally) and if you said "Bee-ta" in any professional computer job environment around here you'd be laughed it.

Someone record there voice saying Beta and post it here please.

585272034[/snapback]

Here ya go.

Now I'd like to hear someone from beeta land record there voice saying beta and post it. :)

For everyone in the UK and everywhere else in the world, take this from an professional QA Engineer and former Microsoft employee, it's pronounced "Bay-ta". I live in the Seattle area, pretty much the high-tech capitol of the world (besides Silicon Vally) and if you said "Bee-ta" in any professional computer job environment around here you'd be laughed it.

585272131[/snapback]

and if you were at Microsoft UK Headquarters, you'd be laughed at for saying bay-ta, its a simple fact that its just down to where you are from