• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

stalling internet through router

Question

3N1GM4    0

I have just returned to my parents house, and connected my PC to the net through their router (a Netgear, I don't know the model off hand). Everything seems fine for a while, but at seemingly random intervals, my connection to the internet will just stall/freeze. What I mean by this is that I may be loading a webpage and it will just stop loading half way through, or a download will stop transferring...

The connection lights on the router continue to flash, ut I get nothing happening on my PC, the little connection lights in my system tray remain off... The only solution that works is to restart the download, or refresh the webpage...

Any idea why this might be happening? They are on a 512k connection through Wanadoo in the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated, this is getting quite annoying already and I've only been back a day!

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

samg    2

flash it.

Frank    3

Are you using Bittorent or any other P2P client at the time?

3N1GM4    0

No I am not Frank, although I am aware of how to set up port forwarding etc for those applications if I was using them. I use a router at my place as well, so I'm not sure why this is happening here...

Sam, what do you mean by flash it?

Frank    3

I asked about Bittorrent not because of the ports, but because of the amount of connections it uses when downloading files. On my old router when my brother was downloading files off of bittorrent nobody else would be able to use the internet. At first I thought it was the speed, but it turns out the amount of connections it was using was bogging down the router.

Sam means flash the firmware to the most recent version. It is like installing a upgraded OS for your computer. You may loose your settings when you do this, so make sure you have them documented.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/main.asp

You will need to go there to download the files needed to flash your router. You may also want to call up tech support to see if they can guide you in flashing the router.

3N1GM4    0

right, gotcha, I just didn't know what he was telling me to flash!

Might be an idea I guess, but this only happens on my PC, not any of the others connected to the same router...

Frank    3

Then it doesn't sound like a Firmware issue but it still could be.

Have you updated your device drivers (specifically your nic card). Scanned for spyware? Anti-Virus up to date?