Colts to get New Stadium

Colts to sign 30 year lease to stay in Indy with a new stadium :punk:

Slot machines in Indianapolis would be the key to financing a $500 million, retractable-roof stadium proposed Sunday night by the mayor and the owner of the Indianapolis Colts.

"We have a deal," said a smiling Mayor Bart Peterson as he and team owner Jim Irsay held up their arms in victory before a roaring crowd of more than 55,000 that had turned out to see the Colts take on the Baltimore Ravens.

While the cheers at the RCA Dome were loud, the agreement between the city and the franchise marks only the start of what could be a contentious process.

The debate over expanding gambling in Indianapolis began Sunday and will reach into the Statehouse as the legislature considers the plan when it reconvenes next month.

Parts of the plan also must clear the City-County Council.

Sunday, Peterson and Irsay briefly set aside the potential political and practical hurdles facing the plan as they stood on the dome's artificial turf to announce their plans to ensure that Indianapolis' two-decade-long status as a National Football League city continues for a second generation. The announcement before a sold-out game culminated two years of negotiations.

The proposal calls for the city to build a 63,000-seat stadium, which could expand to seat 70,000, in time for the 2008 NFL season. The team will sign a new 30-year lease.

post-46919-1103557784.jpg

Colts to sign 30 year lease to stay in Indy with a new stadium :punk:

585134332[/snapback]

Damn, you beat me to it. :laugh:

When I picked up the paper this morning, I couldn't believe it. I'm glad, since the colts were close to packing up and leaving Indy last year after the super bowl...

I need to see if I can get any of the video clips they are showing on the news... ****ing awesome I say! (Y)

Here's a little more info...

The stadium is now said to cost over $687 million.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/203672-6988-092.html

And anyone wanting to see what the stadium will look like in action, click here:

http://www.wthr.com/global/video/popup/pop...eAdTag=homepage

And something else that hasn't been added yet:

This will be the home of NCAA March Madness for the next 4 decades...

Finally, some sports action around here.

Wow, that looks cool! So they are both NFL and NBA games in that stadium?

585138372[/snapback]

no, but they will be making a Final Four pitch from what ive read

Wow, that looks cool! So they are both NFL and NBA games in that stadium?

585138372[/snapback]

Nah, only NCAA, NFL so far.

The NBA games are played in the fairly new Conseco Fieldhouse. It has some of the style aspects carried over on the new stadium.

no, but they will be making a Final Four pitch from what ive read

585138381[/snapback]

They already have a deal for the Final Four. They are the only city that is on a rotating schedule to host the Final Four every 4th or 5th year (I can't remember exactly) through 2049. That was one of the main things to get the deal done for the new stadium.

Rock on Indy!!! Could not be happier for the City and Ponies...

This Stadium (from what I understand) will ROCK....

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

5 out of 5 Smilies....

This stadium is going to be sweet.  I've been to many a trade show in Indy this will definitely help the city.

585148284[/snapback]

Yep :yes: . Especially since the convention center is expanding.

Everyone here in Indy is being told that taxes won't be raised to pay for. Yeah right. I think if the Colts want a new stadium, the Colts should pay for it. Same thing happened when the Pacers got their new place to play in. Taxes went up for that too.

Colts have said that if they don't get a new stadium then they'll leave. I say let them go. I'll help them pack.