Win 98

I don't know about you, but I don't like Window Media Player (at all). I prefer Winamp. I don't play any other audio file but mp3. Beside it'll be really good if I can remove Window Media Player from my system:D

Is there much out there that can compare to Media Player?

I used Media Player 6.4, but thats only cos of my slow system.

When I installed WinME WMP7 was installed and it froze my machine everytime I tried to use it.

If I remember correctly tho I think I read somewhere (maybe Neowin) that WMP8 was only going to be a W2k/XP piece of software.

Just like everything else... Trying to force users to upgrade to the latest WinXP or atleast Win2K

Cheers

Dave

configure>> you know wmp isnt just for mp3s eh?

I play movies/vids on it too..thats whatIi use it for anyways. but ya..winamp for music, wmp or elecard mpeg2 player for vids. It works :)

As for problems with my wmp7..never had any problems (in my WinME or 2K).

I'll keep my eyes open for version 8, though.

l9ter d00ds

Ok guys... let me respond to indivuals by their forum handle

hayc59:

Windows Media Player is super super sux... Well... I hate this one especially... When you type "Windows Media Player" on the address bar of the Internet Explorer, it open the stupid player instead of searching for it... But I think this is due to the IE settings I think... but that's the stupid thing that Microsoft did that I hate. Another thing is that it use too much memory... It slows down the system... I am using it on a 200Mhz... One more thing, like every user had complaint, it is bloated...

configure:

Yeah... don't you hate that... it would be nice if we can choose to integrate the default player for the OS... I hope WinXP give us the ability to choose which media player we can install as a default player... freedom is what life expects from living...

goofydave:

Windows Media Player 6.4 Is the only player I like from MS.. .the rest of their player sux... Let's cross our finger MS will allow us to choose which player we can use as a Windows default media player - I mean as the Windows integrated media player...

Toxicfume:

Windows Media Player 7 and up is stable but it sux.. on a slow system.. use too much system resources during play... use a 200 or 250Mhz system and compare the Windows Media Player 6.4 with Windows Media Player 7.0 and you will see a big difference.

kintamanate:

Since when WinAMP can play videos?... I must be sleeping the whole time. WinAMP never allow videos to play on their player. I wish it could tho... cos it would be the best browser multimedia player ever... The reason I say this is that WinAMP has been the best browser audio plugins... I am saying that WinAMP scores a perfect 10 when it comes to multimedia streaming off the web... I would not use RealPlayer or WMP if WinAMP can play videos tho... but I don't think WinAMP will incorporate that ability in their player any time soon...

What I hate in WMP is its confusive Graphic Interface..:rolleyes: I prefer something small, simple, and does it job well..:D And the ability to remove WPM would be nice:p

n10s>> when did I ever say winamp plays video files? I only agreed with configure for using it for audio. You must be the one sleeping..or maybe you need some reading glasses?

:o ok all you wise crackers! what would be the best one??

i have installed both, waiting for someone to give me a staight answer... i am ready to delete the one you guys agree to! i think they both are fairly good.. winamp is prettier

come on i have my finger on the add/remove button

oh one more thing. TODAY IS MY WIFES BIRTHDAY!! can you all sing her Happy Birthday?? peace have a great weekend:D

for Mp3's that is.. next to that with Vid's I will still prefer 6.4 although WMP8 is coming in fast as the XP version now is resizeable and starts alot faster than any 7.x version

I play my Audio CD's through WMP8 because it has great Equalizer control (finally)

What really annoys me in WMP 7.1 and 8 is it can't play cd's in annlogue mode , in 7.0 you could choose if it was in digital , fine you don't get the effects but for us with older cd-rom drives , it's a tad annoyting (mine's a 16 speed) u just get buzzing and crackling.

I Agree though , i use mp 6.4 for most stuff and 8.0 for copying music

Decide for yourself.. and er.. Happy Birthday to your wife :D

For video, maybe you can go for WMP, but for audio, I prefer winamp :D

NOTE: I don't do much of video, so I don't know the quality WMP produce :p

OK I THINK I WILL KEEP BOTH!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP:D ONE IS GOOD FOR SOMETHING THE OTHER IS GOOD FOR SOMETHING ELSE:cool:

.. can you actually remove WMP? I mean WMP6.4 can be remove? :confused: I thought we can't remove it, since I don't find nothing about WMP6.4 in Add/Remove Program..

Right I have the problem where WMP crashes whenever I run a video. It used to just apply to MP but has now spread to all my players, including Winamp's visualisations, and even more annoyingly, my DVD-player. Can anyone help, as I can now no longer view any video clips or such-like for fear of complete lock-ups.

Cheers

Threestain

Now the bloody crashes have spread even further. I am getting lots of random lock-ups with occasionally the system hanging due to an apparently mis-set motherboard. However, I have a 500 MHz P3 and set it accordingly, though I still get hangs. Also it actually clocks at about 505, so what do I do, as there aren't any options for this speed. I have tried to redo things, but nothing seems to help!

• 19 years later...