Windows XP Guide

I reccommend running CCleaner before all the anti-spyware programs, so they have to scan less files.

Also I'd suggest you take a look at this program called Hitman Pro, it automatically runs a lot of anti-spyware programs and changes settings to prevent spyware from installing. Downside for you might be that it's dutch but you'll probably be able to figure it out.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

Question: Whats the different from 3rd partyt disk defragmenter then the windows disk defrag?

585147354[/snapback]

They use diffrent technlogies and usually more features such as offline defragging (during reboot of core system files).

Built for the largest of disk drives, PerfectDisk provides the most comprehensive solution for defragmentation by optimizing virtually every file on the system, including all metadata, paging files, and directories.  PerfectDisk's patented SMART Placement? technology arranges files on a disk to ensure that free space is consolidated and the future rate of fragmentation is minimized. All in a single pass, not with outdated multipass technology? once and done.

Hi User540,

While the Registry Defragmentation program you mention is good, I highly recommend you replace it with the freeware NTREGOPT because I found it to be much more effective. This is the test I conducted: I used Registry Defragmentation which compacted my registry by ~1%, then I restarted, and used NTREGOPT right after which compacted my registry by 16%!! Also, although I didn't measure this, I felt that NTREGOPT worked slightly faster than Registry Defragmentation.

The only downside to NTREGOPT compared to Registry Defragmentation is that it doesn't allow you to select individual hives in the registry, it defrags the entire thing (some people may actually find this beneficial though, since it is just click-and-go rather than going through multiple steps in a wizard). NTREGOPT also has some cool command line options, so I have it set to run silently every x number of days while I'm asleep and it automatically reboots when done - quite neat. :)