[NCAA] Another blow to the BCS

Apparent concern over the Bowl Championship Series process had led The Associated Press to pull its football poll from the BCS system used to select the national title game and the three other BCS bowls, The Boston Globe is reporting.

BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg, the commissioner of the Big 12, told The Globe he has received a letter from AP indicating it wasn't comfortable being part of the process.

The move would take place starting next season. The BCS is expected to make a statement later Tuesday.

The eight teams selected for the four major bowls -- Orange, Rose, Sugar, and Fiesta -- are picked by the BCS, which uses a combination of the AP poll (voted on by writers and broadcasters), the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll, and several computer rankings. Each segment receives a one-third weighting in picking the teams.

In the wake of Texas leapfrogging Cal for a BCS bowl bid, the Charlotte Observer announced it no longer will vote in The AP poll.

Source: ESPN

very interesting stuff...

i heard they mentioned a committee styles, like march madness. but still, fitting 2 teams in 1 game will never work completely.

a playoff would be the good, but many schools won't go with it because they want the money that comes with the bowl games. bcs can work, but it needs a lot of help.

The only thing they actually did wrong this year was putting Texas in instead of Cal and leaving undefeated Boise St. out. Yes, Boise St. did face some easy teams, but they remained undefeated, so they should be in there.

They should not have removed strength of schedule. If you beat easy teams and go undefeated, you do not deserve to go to the national championship. Playoffs will never work due to money. The +1 Game idea is the best they've come up with so far, and it sounds fair.

They should not have removed strength of schedule. If you beat easy teams and go undefeated, you do not deserve to go to the national championship. Playoffs will never work due to money. The +1 Game idea is the best they've come up with so far, and it sounds fair.

I think they should set up a playoff system where each game is a "bowl game" and the further into the bracket the bigger the name of the bowl game...beginning bowls should be the "Champs Sports Bowl" and later games are the "Suger", "Rose", etc....that way each team gets paid when they lose, and keeps progressing to higher paying games.

I think they should set up a playoff system where each game is a "bowl game" and the further into the bracket the bigger the name of the bowl game...beginning bowls should be the "Champs Sports Bowl" and later games are the "Suger", "Rose", etc....that way each team gets paid when they lose, and keeps progressing to higher paying games.

585146280[/snapback]

Not a bad idea, but that means a school will make tremendous amounts of money over other schools who would've been in that bown instead,

The only thing they actually did wrong this year was putting Texas in instead of Cal and leaving undefeated Boise St. out.  Yes, Boise St. did face some easy teams, but they remained undefeated, so they should be in there.

585144755[/snapback]

bleh...u forget about the most dominant defense in the nation: auburn

per game though, auburn allowed 11.2 pts. vatech 12.6.

and just so people don't misunderstand me, i didn't mean the person who has the best defense is the best team in the country, but when i look at a head to head matchup, ie osu vs. miami, or lsu vs. ok, i always pick defense. those past two years i was right.

I believe they do have a fair chance. I'm not saying they will win, but they can keep it close and maybe, just maybe pull one off like Fresno St. did today ;)

i like the way auburn has played after breaks. they had a week off before goergia and dominated them. and 2 weeks off before the sec title game and scored a td in less than a minute. auburn will have to have a very impressive showing againt va tech AND oklahoma has to win.

i think the reason why auburn isnt playing in the national championship is because williams/brown/campbell arent as glorified in the media as much as peterson/white and bush/leinart. its sad really...2 teams OU struggled against(OK St. and A&M) get dominated. A&M got trampled by a injury-plagued tennessee team who had to go with their third string freshman qb. cal got their asses handed to them by a texas tech team who finished tied for third in the big12 south.

sorry...im still distraught over this whole thing.....i really know how usc felt last year