Computer reboots at odd times

Hi,

I am having a few problems with a computer I build for a friend of mine.

He is running Windows 98 SE with the following components : -

* Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz

* Gigabyte Motherboard - GA-8SIMLH-P

* 512 MB RAM PC2700

* Onboard Graphics

* Onboard Sound

* 80 GB Hard Drive

* Standard Cd Writer

* BNC PCI Network Card

He runs Coxial cable still.........

What happens is that odd times thoughout the day, the computer will just reboot.

I have changed the power supply and checked for spyware etc - but still does it.

Any ideas?

Regards

Robert

my computer -> advanced -> start and restore -> uncheck "reboot automatically if needed"

then monitor your temperatures and taskmanager.

Save yourself a Headache and install XP on that thing dude. Windows 98 is aweful. From what I can see, you have plenty of memory and hardware to run XP.

I had a similar problem just recently. To begin with it was just a faulty fan that was failing and causing my computer to restart randomly. I removed that then the problems still continued..

So after fiddling with a few things i narrowed it down to the PSU being not able to provide my hardware with enough voltage..replaced the PSU and no problems as of yet.

That was happening to me, i checked and rechecked every wire...tested over heating issues...eventually i tried unplugging my network connection and formatting...did the trick i guess i had a virus or something..

me not bragging bout xp,just suggesting it thats it

yup celeron,it's the lowend of a pentium 3-4 with 128 kb Level1 cache and no level 2 cache

mine is an athlon xp 2600+(barton at 1.912 GHZ)it has 128kb Level 1 cache,and 512 kb level 2 cache,i might suggest getting a different cpu as a celeron is crapo,sure it costs less but amds r cheaper n you get way more for the buck,intels cost too much

mobo:GA-7N400E-L

it's a bit older than yours but it's got the fast pc3200 400 memory,fast everything

hehe

download either one of these memory testers

http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.memtest.org/

you can download them as bootable iso images for cd .. fire up either one and let it run continously for at least an hour .. if you get no memory errors at least you can rule that out ..

as a side note ive had machines test fine but still have windows problems .. most common is ddr ram specs that are manually set in bios, even if the settings are correct some motherboard/memory combinations dont run well manually set so let the motherboard auto config the memory timeings. Also many motherboards misidentify ram voltages check with the memory manufacturer and make sure bios says its running the memory at the voltage specified by the memory manufacturer if its not manually set the memory voltage in the bios ! also try running the memory voltage up by a tenth of a bolt .. for example from 2.5 to 2.6 or 2.7 if all else fails.

as mentioned above cheap powersupplies cause lots of problems, throw out the one that came in the case and buy a good antec or enermax or zalman

and the only way to really get a handle of the cpu is to change it out for another one, if you havent got the spare parts laying around it might be worth it to take it to a local shop and let them figure it out for you ..

If the memory tests pass OK then it could be a program doing the resetting - but you need to find which program if any, so keep an eye on your programs that are always running in the background and work out if the resetting happens in any sort of pattern - if so, what do you do on the computer that causes it to reset - just narrow your search down, the same goes for when you're checking the hardware.