BIG Screen HDTV or New comp?

Get the tv. But make sure to do your research, and get rear-projection lcd or dlp over rear-projection crt. I personally love both the sony grand wega line and the latest samsung dlp line. They seem to have a nice cost/value ratio to me anyways.

Edit: aren't oled tvs pretty damn far away? I have only heard of consumer 17" oleds appearing in 2005. Also, oled will be way expensive when it first comes out just like lcd and plasma were. 40-43" lcd was over 10-20k a year or so back. Now 45" lcd is only 8k or so.

yah i was lookin at the JVC 48inch HDTV from FutureShop, it is on sale for 1499.99 canadian and it comes to around $1832.00 after taxes.

my computer right now is an AMD 1600+ 512meg PC2700 memory, Radeon 9700 Pro, tons of harddrive space.. but only an AGP 4X mobo

It seems to me for only 1500 canadian plus taxes the tv isnt a horrid deal, plus i can get those Component Red Green Blue cables for both my DVD and PS2.

my system is pretty low end as far as what is out now. But i also dont wanna waste money on a AMD64 3500+ and up because as everyone has said Dual Core Technologies and ATI SLI stuff which is going to reign supreme :)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...99&newdeptid=11

there is the TV link... tell me what u think of that brand a model

i actually went to future shop last night and i was looking at tvs with my gf but i didnt get one because im not too sure if i want to buy one yet. I looked at them and i wanted a widescreen but im not sure if thats going to fit my need since i mainly watch tv (which is not widescreen) and play GC and PS2 all of those are regular 3:4 except for a few games. now i know i can watch those with black bars on the left and right side but then the screen will be much smaller......

what should i do? should i wait or no?? (i dont really watch dvds)

well i have come to the conclusion myself to hold out and get a DLP television, also rudy

futureshop still have on sale if u go tomorrow a Samsung 43inch DLP television for 1999.99 on sale.... its normally 3299.99 so if u have the money to spend on that DLP i say get that its deffinitly worth it, as for me i am waiting on somethin that doesnt cost me over 2200 bucks thats tax included, and doesnt Burn in the image from my PS2 or anything. hence the Digital Light Projection Television is the one i would want and get, if i had the cash to pay 2grand plus tax

Why didnt you just do a poll :no:

Id go with TV :yes: its a new era come on get with it! although i shuldnt really be talking with my monochromatic tv :unsure:

sigh :(... i wish i could afford both, this comp is runnin on its last legs as far as performance goes, and well my 24inch Sony Wega Teli itsnt the most spectacular of things either... i am buying some Component(Red,Green,Blue) cables tomorrow for my DVD player and PS2, hopefully i should see a large leap in picture quality, if not they r flying out da door and back to shop

• 2 weeks later...
get the hdtv with tivo! :fro:  :jump:

585170702[/snapback]

I have a HDTV with TiVo and it looks like ****...skip the tivo and get a cable box with a dvr in it :D

Get the computer... Personally i'd get more use out of it. I mean my rig is ****, but it does what I need it to do. ( Quake 3 / Final Fantasy XI / AIM / Internet browsing / cd burning )

TV, no doubt about it. Computer will be obsolete in a couple years, but you can keep the TV & use it until it breaks. Even if you want to get a better one later you can put it in another room & still use it.

I say get the HDTV. Because you play a PS2 I would only get a DLP or LCD projection HDTV because any other set will burn-in and you don't want that trust me. My plasma set has the Fox logo burnt right into my screen. Also get a widescreen set because all HDTV shows will completely fill the screen and most LCD and DLP sets do a very nice job of stretching non HDTV 4x3 shows to fill your screen. Also if you have digital cable right now goto your local cable website and see what HDTV channels they offer. For example my cable company Bright House Networks offers an HD DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) for an extra 10.00/month above the rental charge of 6.95/month. They have their HD Pak which costs 6.00/month and includes HDNet, HDNet Movies, InHD, InHD 2 and ESPN HD. I also get as part of digital cable Discovery HD Theater, TNT HD, CBS HD, Fox HD, PBS HD and ABC HD. I also get HBO HD and SHO HD.

I will tell you this much that even movies in HD looked much better than their digital versions but the best quality HDTV you will see are live sporting events. Fox HD NFL games look way better than analog or even digtal but I tend to find that CBS HD football coverage is much better. Now maybe I'm wrong but I think Futureshop is in canada so there is a good chance that your local cable system offers you all the US network feeds which is where most of the great content is in HDTV. Now if I'm right and your system offers the NFL Sunday Ticket package you will get all NFL games next year in HDTV. This package did 9 games every week this year and all the NFL playoffs in HDTV.

my friend got a nice big 48" RCA widescreen TV, which i believe is rear projection. Whenever we watch cable at his house its always grainy and washed out, but DVDs look great. Is the cable washed out because it is rear projection? If i goto futureshop, all i should have to do is ask for a DLP set right? they dont make DLP CRTs and LCDs, right?

I dont think now is the time to buy TVs there are alot of new and exciting things comming to HDTV also what good is a pretty hdtv if you dont have a computer that can upscale your DVDs to 1080p

The price on the HDTV will plummet soon, because the US gov is forcing all programming to be broadcast in HD by the end of the year. So get the comp and wait on the TV.

585348659[/snapback]

Oh you are so wrong my friend. Firstly the FCC is only requireing local OTA networks to upgrade to digital. Secondly by going digital that means one of 18 digital TV formats which do happen to include HDTV resolutions. But the cold hard truth is that if all OTA networks just broadcast an 480i 4x3 SDTV picture they would meet the FCC requirements. The reason companies are broadcasting HDTV is because it helps sell their product on cable and for the networks they broadcast HDTV because who in their right mind would pay thousands for a new HDTV widescreen set when the good most watched shows aren't broadcast in anything better than digital and not even widescreen.

They had to broadcast HDTV to get people to actually pay that much money period. Now all the cable channels like TNTHD, HBO HD and yes even ESPN HD went HD because they wanted too and even if the HDTV transition finished in 2010 those channels such as ESPN HD still would not have to go digital or HD. Believe this or not that when this transition is done all OTA networks will broadcast in DTV (which could include HDTV) but your cable company could still have that analog lineup and everything else in digital like they do today and no company would be breaking the FCC rules.

Again the key point here is that the FCC is requireing OTA broadcasters (that includes only channels that you can pick up via OTA antenna) to go digital or DTV and DTV doesn't require broadcasting HDTV because HDTV is just one of 18 different DTV formats.

Also your time is wrong it used to be 2006 but now its been pushed back too 2009.