[NFL] Manning claims TD crown

Dec. 26, 2004. 05:10 PM

Manning claims TD crown

ASSOCIATED PRESS

INDIANAPOLIS ? Peyton Manning broke Dan Marino's single-season touchdown pass record when he threw his 48th and 49th of the season today against San Diego.

Manning hit Brandon Stokley on a 21-yard post pattern with 56 seconds to play to break the record, sending the home crowd into a frenzy. Edgerrin James' run for the two-point conversion then tied the score at 31.

Per Manning's request, the game was not stopped, and Manning strode calmly off the field before being mobbed by teammates on the sideline. A few minutes later, Manning led the Colts on a drive in overtime that led to Mike Vanderjagt's field goal and a 34-31 win for Indianapolis.

Manning entered the game with 47 touchdown passes, needing two to pass the player he grew up idolizing as a young quarterback in Louisiana.

He tied the mark with a 3-yard shovel pass to James Mungro in the third quarter, then hit Stokley to break the mark in dramatic fashion.

Manning finally got the record, but more importantly for him, the victory gave the Colts the edge over the Chargers for the third seed in the AFC playoffs.

Marino threw 48 while guiding the Miami Dolphins to the Super Bowl in 1984, and now Manning is hoping to follow a similar path. The record stood for two decades, and was at one time thought of as untouchable, football's answer to baseball's home run record.

"I held that record for 20 years, and I know in years to come you're going to be really proud of it," Marino said in a post-game interview with Manning ? who called the former Dolphins quarterback ``my hero." Marino now is a commentator for CBS' NFL Today show.

Just as Roger Maris' mark of 61 homers was shattered by Mark McGwire and then Barry Bonds, it was only a matter of time before Marino's mark fell once Manning got going this season.

He has thrown five touchdown passes in a game three times this season and six against Detroit on Thanksgiving. But his bull-rush on the record slowed to a crawl in recent weeks, with two TD passes against Houston, then just one in a 20-10 win over Baltimore last weekend.

Still, he entered Sunday's game against the Chargers seven scoring passes ahead of Marino's pace.

Marino threw 44 touchdowns in 1986, and the closest any player got to his record after that was 41 by Kurt Warner with the St. Louis Rams in 1999.

Many thought it would take a near flawless season to pass Marino, and Manning has delivered just such a performance. He entered the game with a 123.9 quarterback rating, far superior to Steve Young's season record of 112.8.

hell of a football. don't forget 2 other records were set in that game by the chargers, gates had most td receptions by a TE, and LT had most consecutive games with a rushing TD.

as good as the colts offense is, they still aren't gonna win the superbowl...

you're right the Eagles are.

585173690[/snapback]

Well I'm glad this topic got off-subject. Anyways. Great game for Peyton Manning. One hell of a QB and a role-model for people all over.

I see them getting far into the playoffs.

hell of a football.  don't forget 2 other records were set in that game by the chargers, gates had most td receptions by a TE, and LT had most consecutive games with a rushing TD. 

as good as the colts offense is, they still aren't gonna win the superbowl...

585173444[/snapback]

There were actually 3 other records. The third was 3 receivers with 10+ touchdowns.

That had actually been done before, but the 3 with 10 touchdowns had not.

585197129[/snapback]

Then it must've been 4 players with 1,000+ yards because they mentioned this on NFL Primetime.

I'm pretty sure it's the first time ever 3 WR's from same team have 1,000+ plus yards AND 10+ TD's.

585201968[/snapback]

I think you are right, I did a search (even if I'm no good at searches) and didn't find anything, but that doesn't prove it. I just think I heard the same thing you did. That it was a first. Maybe adcmarti can find us a source for his info.

I was trying to watch this game but because I live in Maryland they were broadcasting the Ravens game. Fortuantly they lost fast and I got to see the record breaking drive. BTW I hate the Ravens, I've been a life-long Redskins fan so the fact that the local networks both DC and Baltimore were not showing history being made ****ed me off.

I think he's not playing today.. just by what they was saying on ESPN a min ago.

btw, in the Jacked up area I posted that I have the recorded breaking clip up for download now. Not a jacked up clip, but worth a look.