Compact Flash/Secure Digital Speed Comparison

Hello

I had some spare time today, and bunch of CF/SD cards. I would like to show everyone the speed difference between different brands, different models, and card types.

For who is this test:

Digital Camera users

People that want to move large files from PC to PC.

Also people like me that use digital camera to take pics, and later a card reader to transfer to PC (demanding speed)

Test Settings

Remove Storage/Flash Benchmark from Sandra 2005

and Build in Card reader in my Notebook.

CF = Compact Flash

SD = Secure Digital

MD = IBM MicroDrive

note: SD cards in gray.

test.jpg

Ultra = Sandisk 1st Generation Professional card

Ultra II = Sandisk 2nd Generation Professional card

Standard = Most Widely sold cards

Modern = Sandisk new design card

Professional = Lexar Professional card (sold in few different speed ratings)

Results

1) Sandisk CF cards (Standard and Modern) are very inconsistent in speed. (Raging from very slow speeds to close to Ultra II speeds)

2) Ultra II from Sandisk appears to be the best card that i had available in my test (very good Read Speed, and the best Write Speed)

3) CF cards in General are allot faster from SD cards (thats why CF card still are number one choice for demanding cameras and photographers.)

4) IBM's MicroDrive a Hard Drive based CF+ Type II card, is slower compared to most CF cards, plus very fragile. really bad choice.

speed winner

278581_lg.jpg

will update if needed

Edited by nekrosoft13

Thanks for the comparison :)

My mum is a photographer and now does all her work using a digital SLR. The camera takes pictures at a crazy resolution and eats 1GB CF cards like there's no tomorrow. Apart from one or two cards becoming corrupt, CF does seem the sturdiest of them all.

If only I could say the same about my camera with it's puny SmartMedia cards. They don't even produce them any more :(