What do you expect from Linux in 2005?

honestly if it had batter support for wireless/laptops it would already be my main OS for my laptop. I really like Fedora, i just hate the time it takes to configure it.

585207728[/snapback]

My laptop's wireless pcmcia card was automatically configured on Ubuntu and damn small linux.

-More hardware developers supporting it.

-Same with software developers :p

-Xorg's composite to become stable and fully integrated in most WM.

-LG3D. It looks a bit weird right now, but might evolve into something interesting.

-New kernel versions with new features, less bugs, higher performance, etc... as usual :D

I would like to see one of the gnome cd/dvd authoring programs become mature and stable, so I can finally get rid of k3b and all those kde libs.

Not that k3b isn't a good program, it just looks ugly and out of place under metacity, and its a pain having all those kde libraries installed for just one program.

Some individuals seem to forget that Linux is just a kernel and not a complete operating system.

A title like "What do you expect from Open Source Software in 2005?" would be more appropriate.

Some individuals seem to forget that Linux is just a kernel and not a complete operating system.

Unless they're has been a huge jump in HURD users that I am unaware of, it is safe to say that 95% of discussions about GNU, are about GNU/Linux.

I expect better hardware support

Better than what? Linux already has the best hardware support of any OS that I am aware of, of course, it would be nice if there were more vendor support, but alas, that is not to be in the near future.

I think most everyone can safely use the term "Linux" to refer to a full GNU/Linux system. While Hurd may be nearly dead (or so inactive over the past year, one may wonder if there is still a pulse), there are still a lot of GNU/BSD systems out there, many of them running some long-running web servers. I try not to trip over the semantics when someone makes such a gaffe to say that they are running Linux 9.0. :rofl:

It would be nice if all Windows-tested hardware worked just as easily in Linux, but (as of yet) that is not the case. However, I do agree that hardware support in current Linux is better than in current Windows. The variety of archetectures that Linux runs on helps ensure this. But, even for us x86 users, I am able to use my old SCSI scanner that Windows (and the hardware vendor) no longer support - and does NOT run in XP. Setting up a USB wireless in Linux can be a pain, and that underscores that there is always room for improvement.

And that, my friends, is what Linux is about. Improvement. That is the tangible benefit of what a truly "free" Operating System will bring. (Y)

Linux? What's Linux? :jump:

585213412[/snapback]

It's Microsoft's Codename for their upcoming Windows 2012!

After all, I'm waiting for these achievements:

- Reiser4 really stable (working in SMP/SMT environments)

- Composite really stable (working with GLX flawlessly)

- Most Software running with 4KB Kernel-Stacks

- All software using NPTL if available

- The Death of SCO ;)

Edited by anir

I am new to Linux, but i think that if Linux can make more software vendors to jump in like Adobe, Macromedia, Symantec, etc.. , then they can start to compute with MS windows OS.

But remember that as much as more users are joining the Linux community the more dangerous the platform will be, maybe Linux will reach a point similar to the 100,000 virus that are found under windows this year.

So happy new year Linux.

I hope for more government adoption. Schools should not force people to use proprietary software.

As for hardware support, Linux supports a lot, as long as some coders figure out how X hardware works. The problem is vendors who are not willing to free specifications or make drivers (either proprietary or free). In other words, we need vendors to contribute free drivers to the kernel.

IK .:. 47 : Remember, it is also free as in freedom, which is important for many (this is actually what started all this).

- The Death of SCO  ;)

585213451[/snapback]

That will happen in 2005. Sales are way down, their opponents are unfazed by the slew of lawsuits, and Wall Street is wondering if their is a going concern there. Latest reviews of their version of UNIX have been derisive. Yep, goodbye SCO.

I am new to Linux, but i think that if Linux can make more software vendors to jump in like Adobe, Macromedia, Symantec, etc.. , then they can start to compute with MS windows OS.

But remember that as much as more users are joining the Linux community the more dangerous the platform will be, maybe Linux will reach a point similar to the 100,000 virus that are found under windows this year.

So happy new year Linux.

585214851[/snapback]

meh, installing software under linux is way different than windows. windows you just double click and voila. in linux you'd have to compile the virus and install it and make sure the file had root privileges.

i expect more commercial companies to open up to the OS itself and i expect other pieces of hardware (aside from computers) to have linux embeded in it. i also think that user/developer support for linux/gnu will expand more than ever.

meh, installing software under linux is way different than windows. windows you just double click and voila. in linux you'd have to compile the virus and install it and make sure the file had root privileges.

i expect more commercial companies to open up to the OS itself and i expect other pieces of hardware (aside from computers) to have linux embeded in it. i also think that user/developer support for linux/gnu will expand more than ever.

585232384[/snapback]

Sort of. I'm sure a virus that was hidden in an application or even RPM-type ran as root/baron then it could possibly do some damage. Although you may say "everyone knows not to always run as root" or "people will just use sudo to run things". Granted installing some stuff on windows with non-superuser can be a pain, the same isn't really true for linux, people will probably still run everything as root, its just the way people are.

Although SELinux is getting more attention everyday, and that would make viruses almost impossible to spread and do any sort of wide system damage.

I expect the same from all these previous years, an expansion in all the growing linux communities whether its fedora, gentoo, debian or whichever.

It gets too redundant to say "This is the year of Linux" and I always come across articles that say that very same line but really the best we can all hope for is a continuation of growth from all communities and that's what exactly it's gonna happend.

As for the kernel itself, I'm hoping that it would hit 2.7 maybe in late 2005. 2.6 came and progressed pretty fast if you ask me

More PPC installs. It's likely that IBM will completely dump it's PC business (so far it's been slowly but surely) and concentrate more of their efforts on the PPC. There was actually a rather nice article related to this at Groklaw.

Since I still have some principles left, I do not really care about the people creating proprietary software for Linux. It might be a killer app and all that, but that does not make it free as in freedom. Therefore, what I expect to some degree is proprietary vendors opening up some code or making use of Linux in a large scale (for their devices, like set top boxes, routers and so on). IBM has already opened up some of their applications, like cloudscape.

to stop wasting time and resources on so many distros and concentrate on one perfect one. The first thing that turns people away from linux is the decision between distros, IMO.

to stop wasting time and resources on so many distros and concentrate on one perfect one. The first thing that turns people away from linux is the decision between distros, IMO.

585251413[/snapback]

Roger that. I've got Ubuntu, Xandos, Mandrake, Vidalinux, and one or two others floating around. Which to install? RPM or Source? Too.... many.... options...... :wacko:

Sorry guys. I really like Linux, but its not going to be a real contender for the desktop crown 'till it stops relying so much in its command line.