Antec NeoPower 480 [review]

Well as many of you know I had quite a scare last night. I was minding my own business playing CS:S when all of a sudden sparks and smoke started pouring out of my PSU. I tried to repair it to no avail. So off to CompUSA I went to pick up my new Antec NeoPower 480. I'm not big on writing so I'll let my pictures do the talking for me. ;)

front

antec_front_box.jpg

back

antec_back_box.jpg

opened

antec_open_box.jpg

contents

antec_contents.jpg

right side view

480_right_side.jpg

back side view

480_back.jpg

front side view

480_front.jpg

top side view

480_top.jpg

cables

antec_cables.jpg

side view

antec_side.jpg

installed view

antec_480_installed.jpg

click here for hi res pictures.

Packaging: Antec did a wonderful job packing up this bad boy. Individually wrapping every component and twist tying every cable.

Cost/Value: I paid $149.99 @ CompUSA but these guys have been spotted online for $124.99 or cheaper.

Performance: I couldn't really measure the actuall performance but here is a capture for Mother Board Monitor 5

MBM5_Antec_NeoPower.gif

I give this product 10/10 for it's performance, check out this months copy of Maximum PC magazine for actual PSU benchmarks (The Antec NeoPower 480 was the ONLY PSU that received 10/10) I must agree with them. ;)

Edited by islanq

I didn't read it I just looked at the pictures but sweet :p NIce PSU. Now I will read :p

Nice pics but not a very good review but Ill give you (Y) for pics :laugh:

how loud is it? at least, compared to other power supplies that you've used and such...

585219272[/snapback]

I have the NeoPower 480...it's very quiet...

Ive got one, its practically silent.

I found it doesnt have enough connectors as Id of liked.

Also, your +12.00V is the lowest ive seen.

My +12.00 is 11.86... Which is a little lower then I would of liked, But it doesnt seem to flucuate much under load so thats good.

Ive got one, its practically silent.

I found it doesnt have enough connectors as Id of liked.

Also, your +12.00V is the lowest ive seen.

My +12.00 is 11.86... Which is a little lower then I would of liked, But it doesnt seem to flucuate much under load so thats good.

585219303[/snapback]

That all depends on the BIOS/motherboard as you aren't measuring from a multimeter.

i just got this power supply last weekend, it's quite nice indeed :D

does it have both IDE and SATA power outs? looking at the pic seems like only shows SATA.. also how many can be attached 4-pin wise

585244559[/snapback]

you can have up to 9 standard molex plugs with all the cables attached, as well as two additional "fan only" molex plugs (they only have 12v)

also, the pack comes with two additional molex connectors you can snap onto the wires to get a couple more ports.

Does it getting louder when your case heats up?

585247707[/snapback]

No it doesn't get louder ;)

585248153[/snapback]

agreed, it doesn't get any louder that i can tell... that huge fan seems to do a great job