The Angels have moved

Baseball's Angels have a new name, and it's a mouthful: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The switch, which will be challenged in court by the city of Anaheim, is intended to help the team market itself to more of Southern California, attract more advertising sponsors and broadcast revenue, the team said Monday.

"We believe that the appeal in the marketplace will be broader," Angels spokesman Tim Mead said.

The city of Anaheim will file a lawsuit to block the name change and hopes to obtain a temporary restraining order in place this week, city spokesman John Nicoletti said.

Anaheim officials believe the change violates the terms of the team's 33-year lease with the city.

"It's geographically confusing and absurd," Nicoletti said. "No other professional sports franchise that I know of has two different cities in its names."

When the franchise began in 1961, owned by singing cowboy Gene Autry, it was the Los Angeles Angels. The team became the California Angels when it moved to Anaheim in 1966. In 1997, when the team was controlled by The Walt Disney Co., the franchise was renamed the Anaheim Angels.

Arte Moreno bought the team in 2003, one year after it won the World Series, and he wanted to change the name.

The Angels drew 3,375,677 last season, the third-highest total in baseball behind the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.

:blink: :unsure: :huh: :dontgetit:

The city of Anaheim will file a lawsuit to block the name change and hopes to obtain a temporary restraining order in place this week, city spokesman John Nicoletti said.

LMAO. That's just funny right there...

The whole thing is absurd. :laugh:

Anyone for the name the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles, California? Better yet, maybe they should just make the name of the team the address of the team - we'd know exactly where they are! Man this is stupid, plain and simple.

if i was anahiem i'd tear up every road to the stadium and/or double their property taxes. since the angels believe they are more so a part of LA than of the city they are in LA can build a freeway all the way out to them. this is the stupidest idea by "smart" people ever. i cant wait till they come up with the name the conneticut-new hampshire-maine-vermont-rhode island patriots of massachusetts.

I saw this yesterday. So stupid. Maybe the NFL should have the New York Giants of North Jersey. And I'm sure Red Sox Nation would love the Nationwide Red Sox of Boston!

It should be the California Angels.  Anaheim just sounds...wrong.

585231226[/snapback]

(Y)

Anaheim is like a good 45 minutes to 1 hour from the city of LA. I guess the San Jose Sharks of San Francisco or Oakland Warriors of San Francisco is in the works :rofl:

Such a shame you have to drive through LA to get to San Diego.