[help] thinking on taking a class on linux

I'm thinking on taking a credit class on Linux at a college close to my house.

Intro to Linux

And since i'm new to Linux i was wondering if you guys can help.

like picking a good Linux book or reference on the net. something that can help me...

Thanks a lot guys...

:edit:

sorry guys. i think i posted in the wrong place... :pinch:

Ahh.....

you're new to linux & givin a presentation on it!!

Are you gonna compare it with other OS ?

Well !you should arrange the topics like,

File System (how secure?)

Security

Operations (how linux works)

Kernel (imp. of linux)

Network Security in linux

& similarly blah..blah..blah..

sorry guys. i think i posted in the wrong place...  :pinch:

585241081[/snapback]

Yeah, you did. But it is easy enough to fix. ;)

* thread moved *

this quarter in my operating systems class, we are using Linux For Non-Geeks as our text book for Linux. I've alread read some of it, and being new to Linux myself, proved to be pretty useful. I'd say try getting that book (a distro of Fedora Core comes with the book) and have at it. I'd also say take the class, you'll feel more confident I'm sure. Have fun :)

I've personally done talks and lectures on Linux at my university. You need to be careful of the audience, if they're a selection of master's level computer scientists you can presume a bit of knowledge, otherwise you need to start by explaining what an operating system is, as most people have no idea. Then introduce the history of GNU (starting well before Linux was created) and then Linux (with perhaps a mention of MINIX by Andrew S. Tanenbaum - the OS that inspired Torvalds to create Linux) and explain how these elements have been brought together, even a mention of traditional UNIX would be useful, and why this was problematic in the past (i.e. compatability).

You need to cover licensing (and compare the FSF and OSS movements), and then compare these to proprietary systems, then go on to the actual Linux system. Try and avoid technical terms as much as possible and be sure to explain all things (i.e. if you mention file systems first clear up what a filesystem is).

Finally I'de recommend using examples of deployments from industry, especially famous ones like google.

I'de say the obvious focus is the server market, unless you want to give an overview of desktop usage - however this is not common in business so may not be as appropriate as focussing on the server end for students.

I'de recommend Open Sources - here for info on open source and the fsf, also Linux in a Nutshell and the Linux Pocket Guide.

Edited by UKer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that he meant he was going to attend the class, not run it. It seems that two of the three posts here were geared towards the later...

I really thanks you guys for all the help, the link for books. I want to read and know as much posible as i can before taking the class. that way i'll know basics before taking the class.

and i was wondering if there is a book that explains and tells you all the Linux commands, and shortcuts???

and i was wondering if there is a book that explains and tells you all the Linux commands, and shortcuts???

585244048[/snapback]

UKer already named one, Linux in a Nutshell by O'Reilly. Currently at it's 4th edition.

All the "in a Nutshell" books by O'Reilly are references which gives you everything on a subject without directly teaching it to you. You got chapters on commands, grub, lilo, vi, emacs and more (it's all on the site).

O'Reilly books are great, among the bests. They explain in depth rather than shooting examples. It's more text to read than your average IT book full of pretty images but this is because they take the time to try and make you understand something before you move on.

When I need a fast answer on something specific, I usually type it directly into google and I'l get the answer either from an example of someone that is commented or from a site explaining it. Theres dozens of online sites strictly listing all commands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that he meant he was going to attend the class, not run it. It seems that two of the three posts here were geared towards the later...

585243159[/snapback]

Whoops, I think you're right, to me taking a class means that they're running it, when we say that at my uni that's what it means anyway, another one of those differences in UK/US language!

Seriously though, the best way that you'll learn is trying to mess around with Linux yourself by breaking it and understanding what does what. When doing that, sure you'll have a few headaches but you'll laugh when arriving in an linux or unix Intro class because they really show you the basics on how to get around things without going in depth and that's where the fun's at :D

I'd suggest again, get reference books, get yourself any distro and start messing around as soon as possible.

You could always just install/setup Cygwin and familiarize yourself with the command/terminal interface and learn everything without worrying of breaking things and having headaches. Installing it just takes a few minutes so even doing rm -rf /bin by mistake won't make you lose your hair.