Sennheiser RS110 Review

Sennheiser RS110 Wireleass Headphones - Review

Disclaimer: The following is my opinion on this product, I am trying to be as objective as I can be, but a review can't be solely objective because, well, because it is a review; it has to be subjective and yes this one is writting entirely in NexPad 0.4 Beat by Banbang023

The pictures linked to in this thread are PNGs and are all a bit less then 700KiB in size and taken with a Canon PowerShot A85.

Also be aware of the fact that I have this product in my posession for about 3 hours now and therefore some things might be undiscovered for me, but I honestly think I have tried everything I could possibly do with it...

Technical Data

(This can also be found on Sennheiser's productpage)

Max. Sound pressure level (aktiv): 106 dB

Powering: 9V DC (transmitter); AAA batteries (receiver)

Weight (Transmitter): 180g

Weight (Receiver): 230 g (inc batteries)

Range: up to 100 m

Modulation: FM Stereo

Signal-to-noise ratio: > 65 dBA

RF frequency range: 863 ... 865 MHz or 926 ... 928MHz

Dimensions (Transmitter): 85 x 110 x 133 mm

Frequency response (headphones): 22.....19500 Hz

Transducer principle: dynamic, open

Operating time (Battery): approx. 20-25 h

THD, total harmonic distortion: < 0,7 %

Jack plug: 3,5mm / 6,3 mm stereo (863-865 MHz), cinch (926-928 MHz)

Price: 73? (I honestly don't know the price in the US or other countries, this is the price for the Netherlands)First Impressionsb>

I'm a big fan of movies and avid watcher of anime and since I have my new computer I use the TV-out function to watch them on my TV, the problem is; I have to pump up the volume on the speakers connected to the PC. Something which my parents don't particularly like when it's 11PM, so I decided it is time to buy wireless headphones. After a couple of days of research, something I always do before buying and you should too, I decided it is best to start with an entry level model, Sennheiser's RS110.

I finally ordered it yesterday, 1/5/2005, and was very happy to recieve it today, 1/6/2005. Of course, the first thing I could possibly think of was taking pictures of it.

Unpacked view

First and foremost the package contains, as you can see, a transmitter and the headphones itself, but there were also some batteries, a manual and a power-adapter included.

It looked very nice and matches my hardware perfectly, which is also black with silver/white accents.Installationb>

The installation was actually very simple even though the installation-manual is not the best I have seen. To be honest I'd call it a insufficient manual.

Anyways, you put the batteries in your headphones - this is documented in the manual pretty wel-, plug the cables in to your PC and the transmitter and in my case I could hear my tunes coming out of my PC instantly. (Naruto OST~! (^,.,^)

In other cases you may have to configure the frequency you're on though, this can be done very easily; there's a switch on the transmitter, with three levels, and a weel on the headphones, where you can tune in on the right channel. My best advice is to just play music and hope you find it because there isn't really some indication of what frequency you're on.Useb>

Well, basically saying "switch the on/off switch to on, play music and put the headphones on your head" says it all here, but I'd also like to say the transmitter detects whether your headphones are on or off and displays this through a green LED. When it's off, then transmitter is off and doesn't pollute your surroundings with music going nowhere and when you turn the headphones on, so does the transmitter...

The headphones itself are also very ergonomically built and fit my head, which is kind of big, perfectly, so assuming that I have a big head it'll fit other people as well. There's enough room to adjust it to your head-size (is that a word?) and it doesn't matter how your ears are positioned. Besides all that it's comfortable to wear over longer periods and the estimated range of up to 100m is true, I got about 90 meters away from my house with it without having noticed any troubles. Take a look at my ubercool pictures *cough* for some details;

Adjustable ear-pads

Soft stuffSoundb>

I would've taken pictures of this as well, but I just couldn't photograph the sound :\

Anyways, I'm not an expert on this so I could be wrong, but hey, it's my review. The sound quality the sennheiser RS110 delivers is awesome! I was watching an anime episode, naruto for those that are interested, and I was astonished at how bright the sound was. The highs were better then those coming out of my speaker, as well as the low tones were, which I think are near perfect. They also bring a good bass and overal actually sound better then my Philips speaker set if I'm honest.

Another quote from Sennheiser's global site; "Its transparent and well-balanced sound with great bass response makes this system an ideal choice for all types of music and TV applications."Conclusionb>

I've come to the conclusion that it's a very nice product, but it could use some improvement that would make life with it easier, like a battery indicator which to me is the most important thing that's not included. Besides the lack of that, it's a GREAT product by Sennheiser. I'll sum it up in the obligatory pro's en con's;

Pro's:

+ Simple installation

+ Affordable

+ Good range

+ Nice design

+ Comfortable

Con's;

- Bad manual

- No battery indicator

A few questions, the station plugs into a normal headphone/speaker jack right? Is there any way to easily switch between using the wireless headphones and regular speakers?

I have a pair of wireless headfones but the batteries dont last long tho at all and i have to buy some powerful ones because the headfones makers batteries last about 30 minutes...lol

Very good review. (Y)

Looking for good wireless headphones atm.

*edit. These doesn't have a battery recharger inbuilt right? But the Sennheiser RS120 have it for what.. $7-8 more. Am I right?

Edited by biorK

Very good review. (Y)

Looking for good wireless headphones atm.

*edit. These doesn't have a battery recharger inbuilt right? But the Sennheiser RS120 have it for what.. $7-8 more. Am I right?

585246588[/snapback]

Well the store where I got them, which was the cheapest dutch store I could find, sold the RS120's for 15 euro's more... which is about 20 bucks I guess...

and I also recomend getting a plug that splits one headphone jack into two. I have one of these plugged into my regular audio-jack so I can have my speakers / wireless headphones plugged in at the same time, and because the transmitter turns itself off when the headphones are switched off, there's no problem with that I guess :yes: works fine here

and thank you guys for the compliments... I have put a decent amount of work into it and am still hoping for lots and lots of replies :p