[Car] Legal Windows

i dunno about in the UK, but in NY its legal to have your back windows tinted to like %5, not legal to have anything that is next to the driver or passanger though, except int he case of a limo or a van where the passangers in the back can have the windows tinted really dark. im thinking about a %20 tint on my side windows though to see if i can get away with that, besides it will deture people from trying to steal my stereo or fuel management stuff, as well as my gauges, gauge pod, laptop, etc.

Dunno about the uk, but her down in Florida, they really don't seem to care. Most everyone I know has 5% tint on all of their windows and a 5% strip on the windshield. Guess it's because of the heat. :huh:

does anyone know the lowest % VLT that is legal for car windows in the uk?

585266760[/snapback]

You can have all windows appart from the front tinted as far as i was last aware.

Just be preppared to be pulled over by police a lot.

with 5% tint on the passenger and drivers side windows its impossible to see at night

585268421[/snapback]

No it isn't.... I drive with 5% all around, with the eye brow at 5% too, and I see perfectly fine out it at night.

It's illegal too, but I've yet to be pulled over for it.

Is tinting done inside the glass or is it a film you put on your window? I always wondered how it was done ???

585269720[/snapback]

Most tinting is a film stuck over the glass. Basically, it's static cling plastic, and it has an adhesive layer to it. You use soapy water, and liberally apply it to the film and window, and then stick it on. You allow it to dry before you roll down the windows, and then, tada, teh tint.

On cars from the factory, if they have some sort of tint, it is because they added a tinted solution to the glass while it was made.

And if you do it yourself, tinting is a bitch. I have never gotten more than one window right on the first time on a car.

my friend has 5% on his Pathfinder and we had to drive at nights with the window rolled down, mind-you at the time, we lived in an area out of the city borders so there was little lighting on the roads

actually this won't matter too much, the cops wont stop you if it's a little too dark...

585287684[/snapback]

depends on the officer. Lots of people have been pulled over if they had dark tints. They give you a ticket and you have to get your tints off

And if you do it yourself, tinting is a bitch. I have never gotten more than one window right on the first time on a car.

585269970[/snapback]

amen to that! tinting windows urself is hard as hell. unless u have experience like a few guys i know. Personally i suk at it. :wacko: