Possible Future Setup

Hi Guys,

I'm currently giving some serious thought to building a media centre for my front room. The machine that I'm thinking of using has the following specs:

Intel PIII 2GHz (Roughtly, it's been a while since I've used it, at the moment it's at my parents house, stuck in the loft doing nothing), with 768MB RAM. The graphics card is a basic model (2MB I think), but it's been ok for playing back DVDs / divx files in the past, as well as the occasional bit of gaming (Mostly stuff like the previous version of The Sims). In terms of the HDD Space, the HDD that's in there needs replacing, so I've gotta fit a drive into it - the only problem I've got is that I'm not sure exactly which size to go for. I'm thinking a 160GB drive should be OK, but I guess it depends on the price.

I want to use the machine to record Digital TV Shows (as well as play them back along with DVDs and xvid / divx files), so I'm thinking of getting this TV Card for viewing DigitalTV, and recording it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this device, or if anyone can recommend a better one, that's around the same kinda price.

I'm also a bit unsure as to what route to go down in terms of the TV. I'm not sure if I should just go with a conventional CRT Machine, or if I should go with a Plasma / LCD unit. I've got a 15" LCD at hhe moment, which is pretty good (Samsung SyncMaster 510MP) however I'm looking for a display that's between 28" and 32", and ideally pretty cheap (less than ?500)

I'm hoping to eventually add a very small LCD Touchscreen to the setup, the idea being I can use this to control the computer (Basically the screen would display an activedesktop, which is already almost finished that would allow me to navigate through my music albums, for example, then tap the album cover and it'd start playing). - does anyone have any recommendations. I'd like a widescreen model, but nothing to big (Smaller than 7" in size).

Sorry that it's a bit of a read, but if anyone can offer me any advice / recommendations I'd be eternally greatful.

Cheers:))

Just a quick one.

Seeing as yuo are in the UK.

Get down an ALDI store.

They have an excellent TV-Tuner card w remote (24.99) in, AND 250gb HD (79.99)

Check out this weeks Specials > http://uk.aldi.com/

But they are only in this week.

Just a quick one.

Seeing as yuo are in the UK.

Get down an ALDI store.

They have an excellent TV-Tuner card w remote (24.99) in, AND 250gb HD (79.99)

Check out this weeks Specials > http://uk.aldi.com/

But they are only in this week.

585286467[/snapback]

That looks like a decent deal - same with the internal HDD. I wish I'd remembered to check the Aldi website before now - I wouldn't have minded getting at least the HDD, but I've recently ordered the Buffy The Vampire Slayer collection, so that's wiped out mosta my spare money until next month. Still, I'll keep an eye on their site so cheers for the heads up :)

In the price range you mentioned, you'll have to stick with HD CRT's. Look at the 34hf84 from Toshiba.

585286632[/snapback]

That does indeed look like a nice TV (very nice actually), but I'm not sure if I wanna get one that's HDTV ready, as the picture is going to be coming from the computer - essentially the TVs going to be acting like a big monitor.

"Ready" means it still needs a tuner. If you don't get an HD set, you're going to get a horribly low resolution (640*480) on any other non-HD set. I have seen the 30hf84 (smaller version) and it is a beautiful set. I also know someone who owns one hooked up to his xbox (member here, at Neowin) and he loves it too.

To nit-pick, I don't think you can have a PIII at 2GHz.

They made Tualatins that went at least as high as 1.4GHz. But I don't think you can even overclock a PIII to 2GHz.

"Ready" means it still needs a tuner. If you don't get an HD set, you're going to get a horribly low resolution (640*480) on any other non-HD set. I have seen the 30hf84 (smaller version) and it is a beautiful set. I also know someone who owns one hooked up to his xbox (member here, at Neowin) and he loves it too.

585286998[/snapback]

Ahh - that's answered a question that I had after looking around the 'net - I'd read that most CRTs only have a resolution of 640x480, but I wasn't sure if it was accurate. In that case I'll have another look at the model you mentioned :)

To nit-pick, I don't think you can have a PIII at 2GHz.

They made Tualatins that went at least as high as 1.4GHz.  But I don't think you can even overclock a PIII to 2GHz.

585289603[/snapback]

To be honest it's been that long since I've used the machine I honestly couldn't tell you the exact specification of it. If I can remember correctly I brought it towards the end of 2003, but I think it's a higher spec than a 1.4GHz. It might be an early PIV - I'll have to have a look.