a good universal remote...

I am in the process of replacing my universal remote(sony) and right now the logitech harmony 659 has my attention. My aunt has one for her home theather and i was really impressed with the slick way it operates as well as being able to program it online. the price point isnt too bad either (new egg $100, 180 at best buy :omg: ) any one have any ideas of a possible better universal remotes?

Edited by christracy

I never understood why you would want a universal remote and not just use the ones that come with the equiptment, because the universal ones can not provide all features for all your equiptment :s

I never understood why you would want a universal remote and not just use the ones that come with the equiptment, because the universal ones can not provide all features for all your equiptmen:s:s

585302843[/snapback]

DVD player, VCR, TV, Cable Box, and more

Too many damn remotes otherwise, that's why.

I never understood why you would want a universal remote and not just use the ones that come with the equiptment, because the universal ones can not provide all features for all your equiptmen:s:s

585302843[/snapback]

Sorry but mine can do ALL the others (components) do

All I need is my sony one that replace TV, Digital TV, DVD-recorder, Receiver, SaCD player, VCR

so that's 1 remote control for 6;);)

585302843[/snapback]

as final and bang said before, way too many remotes (CD, Reciever, TV, DVD Player and Cable) to keep up with. a lot of the newer universal remotes do have all the same functions or can learn the same functions as the original remotes.

mmm well.

I have 5 remotes, and id rather use them than spend $180 on a remot:p:p

585303896[/snapback]

i wouldnt want to pay 180 for a remote either! but thankful there is newegg and its going for 100. best buy has a hell of a markup on that thing.

i have a one-for-all mosaic (9990)... and i am very happy with it... it is a little big at times, but the fact that it is a full LCD screen and the nice blue back-light means im happy... and its smaller in height than any one of the 6 remotes that im replacing it with. very good, and worth a look if you want...

I also have used the one-for-all kameleon and i am somewhat happy with it. its smaller than the mosaic, but is harder to use and whatnot.

if you end up wanting more info on either of these two remotes, PM/Email me and i will see what i can do for you.

mmm well.

I have 5 remotes, and id rather use them than spend $180 on a remot:p:p

585303896[/snapback]

that's a personnal choice anbd I repect

but personally, I wouldnt even think to control my components with their respective remote control

that's a personnal choice anbd I repect

but personally, I wouldnt even think to control my components with their respective remote control

585305122[/snapback]

Fair enough, each to himself,

However i do see where you are coming from, if you can get a remote that does all the functions and works with all your equiptment, then save yourself the hassle and buy the multi function one :cool:

man, with a learning remote control like the sony I have (and I showed earlier on this topic), you can record macro that can do

almost everything you can imagine

I have a macro on a button to open tv, digital cable box, dvd-recorder, receiver all in same time

I bought this peice of wonderful stuff around 160CAD which is not that bad!

you'll have one one of this days hehe

The Harmony is a very nice remote indeed. I would definitely recommend it.

585296574[/snapback]

I second that, they are very expensive, but having it hook up to the computer to make sure everything works is well worth it. It also has TV listings built in, all you have to do is plug it in every 2 weeks. Oh and it has this oober cool learning function so that if your remote that you want it to copy has a 'special' abnomral button, like '3D Sound WOW Filter' all you have to do is press the button on the orig. remote and point it towards the sensor on the harmony.

If you're looking to spend a little more money, you can get a Philips Pronto. Mine not only controls my TV / DVD / Receiver / DirecTV, it also controls the lights. I have it set up with macros so the wife can operate everything with an intuitive interface: press the 'DVD' button to turn on tv, turn on dvd, switch receiver to dvd input, dim the lights, and bring up the controls for the dvd player on the remote. If you are into home theater, but need to make it friendly for your significant other: Get yourself down to one remote :)

ProNG_Front.gif

Kameleon is very nice, Ive got it and it looks so sweet, eveyrhting works perfectly on it, just gotta crack it open on inside and murder the motion sensor....thing turns on with a hard breeze