Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer Bluetooth

Okay, first post, first review. Second Microsoft Mouse.

I was out with a mate a few days back after being paid and I was browsing through PC World and I was after a new mouse (and keyboard, but I will get to that one later), this baby caught my eyes, I had been after a Bluetooth dongle anyway for phones and the like. There she was, the lovely blue paint glistening in the neon light, the Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer Bluetooth, so sexy.

Here are some pics: http://www.oliverwebb.com/images/mousereview/

I did buy the mouse after about an hour out hanging around in PC World trying stuff out, because being a student ?50 is a lot for me, and seen as I only work Saturdays as well. I also played with the Logitech mice, didn't feel anywhere near as good. Although their keyboards are really nice (I bought one later). I also looked at the tilt wheel model, but at ?70 it was a bit much for me to pay, even though it is a good investment.

All this talk and no explanation why I bought this mouse, well main to replace the last mouse I bought in '96, this was also a Microsoft one, it was one of the first Intellipoint mice and at the time was fantastic. Not anymore, the old insides were knackered and left me lagging way, way behind in games. Plus I was getting an RSI from it, seriously.

Here is a pic of old and new side by side: http://www.oliverwebb.com/images/mousereview/DSCF0076.JPG

So knowing that my wrist hates me, I bought a decent mouse pad too, a Fellows Gel one, you can see it in the pic, and it really compliments the mouse. I don't really need it since I bought this mouse, but it's better to be safe than sorry with the time I spend on my PC. And I have to say my wrist is much better, no longer does it ache for hours after a CS match or a long RTS game.

The box was quite nice, the usual Microsoft clean style (pic here: http://www.oliverwebb.com/images/mousereview/DSCF0144.JPG ), and the bluetooth dongle has a really nice blue light on it (pic: ), it also has an adapter to plug in a different way if you don't like the dock it sits in. I have it a-top of my monitor in the dock, makes my sucky CRT look better. In the box were a set of AA Energizer batteries, hate to say it but chuck those away. Get some decent Uniross 2000mAh rechargeable, they last longer than the Alkalines:yes:s: Also helps the environment and stuff, and saves you a fair bit of money.

So, use? Well excellent as you might expect, seriously. This mouse is "da sh*t" so to speak, really responsive, batteries last ages, Work on my Mandrake 10.1 aswell as it does with Windows (in-fact better, didn't have to even scan for it). In games it also quick and precise movement and in Photoshop it is really great for the pixel work. The software might not be to everyone?s tastes, but I think it is okay. Take a look: http://www.oliverwebb.com/images/mouserevi...sesoftware1.png, does the job alright. The side buttons are really cool in CS for changing/dropping weapons and in Windows they are the forward/back buttons. The scroll fells lovely and smooth, not like the Logitech ones I tried. The click buttons let out a tiny little "click" noise when pressed, they feel really nice. Also the mouse fits perfect to every hand, from my little brother right up to my 6 foot 5 uncle, my mates are jealous of this thing now. Until you tell them the cost, naturally.

Buy one, you know it makes sense.

Pros:

It?s Microsoft

It feels so nice in your hand

It is Bluetooth

Stopped my RSI

Comes with a really cool dongle

Cons:

It?s Microsoft

Software could be better

9 out of 10

Glad you guys like the review, I'll try and get the images cropped down soon as I get some free time, I gotta couple of essays to write right now.