Megaworks THX 5.1 550

This is my first review, so I hope you all enjoy it?.

The Megaworks THX 5.1 550?s are manufactured by creative labs under the Cambridge SoundWorks badge. If you are buying a set of speakers with the Cambridge SoundWorks badge you buying creative?s top of the line speaker kThe out of box experiencece

On receiving the speakers I was initially struck by how big and heavy the box was ? it was much bigger than I was expecting.

The speakers are packed very well, they come supplied with 5 satellite speakers, one subwoofer, cables for the speakers (3 x 3 metre, 2x 5metre) a remote control pod, as well as the cable to connect to the subwoofer to the soundcard.

On unpacking the speakers I was surprised by the size of the subwoofer, this thing is BIG. I was afraid that the sub would be a little too big and end up overpowering the satellites, but this is not thFirst impressionsions

After hooking the 550?s up to my soundcard one word popped into my mind, and that was ?wow?.

These speakers literally sound amazing, it doesn?t really matter what you do with the 550?s they always output amazing audio. Watching DvD?s is like a whole new experience all over again, gaming with them really intensifies the experience and music playback is also handled exThe Control Pod>The Control Pod

The Megaworks 550?s are controlled by a wired remote that has a headphone socket on it. The control pod lets you adjust master volume for all speakers, pressing the select button will then cycle you through adjusting the volume of the centre speaker, rear speakers and finally the sub. One more press of the select button will let you tweak the treble to all speakers.

1 really neat touch is the headphone socket on the control pod (mentioned above), connect up your headphones and the main speakers automatically shut down. You can then crank up the volume to whatever you want. On disconnecting the headphones the Megaworks will automatically power up and reset the volume of the main speakers to a low level ? useful if you don?t want to wake up thTech SpecsAM!

Tech Specs

? Power Specifications:

? 500 Watts Total Burst Power

? 70 Watts (RMS) per surround satellite (x5)

? 150 Watts (RMS) subwoofer

? Frequency response:

Satellites 150Hz-20kHz

Subwoofer 25Hz-150Hz

? SNR 99dB

? Satellite speakers are wall-mountable, capsule-shielded and tuned, with precision 3.5-inch drivers and rare-earth magnets to deliver ultra smooth output to audiophile and THX? standards

? Wood subwoofer with dual flared ports incorporates heavy-duty, long-throw 8-inch down-firing driver for true subsonic impact

? BASH? amplification offers 500 Watts of burst power fPositivesee, lifelike playback levels

Positives

? Excellent Sound quality no matter what you are doing.

? Excellent build quality

? Well balanced speakers ? the sub never ends up overpowering the satellites, but believe me, when something with some bass kicks in hold onto your hat!

? Easy tNegativesd

? 2 Year warranty from Creative Labs

Negatives

? The 550?s first came out in 2002 so the styling looks a bit ?old? compared to newer speakers on the market.

? Limited connectivity ? can only really be used for PC?s out of the box.

Photo:

http://images.europe.creative.com/iss/imag...MWorks550_c.jpg

Edited by ReAnimation