[Guide] Taking ownership of a folder

Note: This only works with Windows XP Pro, Not Home.

I have noticed recently that alot of people have been posting that they can't access their Documents & Settings folder after a format or a Windows XP Reinstall so I decided to write this small guide :).

This method will work with any folder you don't have permission to access.

Step 1

Open Control Pannel and then open Folder Options and click the View tab.

FolderOptions.png

As you can see I have removed the tick next to 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' , You must do the same. Click OK and close Control Pannel.

Step 2

Right click the folder you need access to and click Properties, Click the Security tab and click Advanced and then the Owner Tab.

OwnerTab.png

As you can see I have clicked my Account Name and ticked 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' , Do the same. Click OK and it will replace ownership to your account :).

Thats it! I hope this helps if you even encounter this problem in the future :happy:.

Edited by Jack Pearce

Wow, I've tried to do this for some time now, the other guides I've tried explain everything in a rather difficult way. Got rid of a directory that was bugging me. Thanks.

585315252[/snapback]

Np :)

This is for XP Pro only by the way, in Home you can't disable simple file sharing.

585315159[/snapback]

Oh yeah forgot about that, Thanks for remindin me, I'll add that to the Guide ;).

Nice!

Thanks..

585315713[/snapback]

NP Mate :) (Y)

This is for XP Pro only by the way, in Home you can't disable simple file sharing.

You can change these settings in XP Home if you use Safe Mode I believe; or you can modify folder permissions at least.

• 3 weeks later...
You can change these settings in XP Home if you use Safe Mode I believe; or you can modify folder permissions at least.

585316390[/snapback]

Yeah, you basically log on as 'Administrator' in safe mode, and change the folder permissions.

MY GOD! if only i had know this before my prohject was dues.... F**K oh well thx 4 the guide man

585450668[/snapback]

WOW, thx dude, was a dir that i could delete. Now i Can :p

585452080[/snapback]

No probs, Happy to help :)