.vob and such

i have 2 questions...

does ne one know what codec to use to view .vob files?

[the .vob's are already extracted to my HD]

and.. how come the dvd image quality looks better on an old 36 inch tv than a compressed divx file?

bestow your knowledge on me...

and..  how come the dvd image quality looks better on an old 36 inch tv than a compressed divx file?

bestow your knowledge on me...

585311289[/snapback]

because divx is compressed, just as you stated.

Vob is a DVD Video Object, Players like Powerdvd, WinDVD play those files and of course Media Player Classic. Sweet classic. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyhoos, Divx is compressed and so the quaility is lower, still good but lower. Some persons when they encode to divx also make crappy quality files so therefore it can be also directly related to the encoder.

Usually a 700mb Divx movie is quite good in quality, better then video cassette, but not as good as DVD quality. Is a happy medium.

Usual DVD size is about 4-7gigs in size. To compress them using something like Dr.Divx will encode them to 700mb and be of excellent quality.

I see no reason why a 1.2gig movie of whatever wont be of great quality also.

idunno much aobut the compression stuff, but ya, same wat davey says , you can watch .vob files with windvd and some dvd players for your comptuer. i use windvda ll the time

vob files are ripped files from a dvd. any dvd decoder program will play em. divx looks crappy because it's compressed (ALOT)

DVD FAQ - What are VOB files and how do I play them?

VOB stands for VideoObject. They are the "movie" files of the dvd movie. They are found on your DVD movies, much like .mpg or .dat files were found on VCD discs. They are a combination of audio and video streams (sometimes multi video and audio streams for different languages, scene selection, etc).

Most commercial DVD movies are CSS encrypted. This means that if you copy the .vob files on the discs to your harddisk, you cannot play them afterwards, no matter what you do. You'll get extremly bad quality, wrong speed, video/audio with data errors as if your file is damaged. You can use DVD Rippers to decrypt these files, and transfer them from the DVD to your hard-drive.

If your .vob file is not encrypted, than you should use a player that is capable of opening .vob files. Cyberlink's PowerDVD, XingDVD, WinDVD and ATI player 3.1 all support opening unencrypted .vob files - download them here.

[4.10] What are .IFO, .VOB, and .AOB files? How can I play them?

The DVD-Video and DVD-Audio specifications (see 6.1) define how audio and video data are stored in specialized files. The .IFO files contain menus and other information about the video and audio. The .BUP files are backup copies of the .IFO files. The .VOB files (for DVD-Video) and .AOB files (for DVD-Audio) are MPEG-2 program streams with additional packets containing navigation and search information.

Since a .VOB file is just a specialized MPEG-2 file, most MPEG-2 decoders and players can play them. You may need to change the extension from .VOB to .MPG. However, any special features such as angles or branching will cause strange effects. The best way to play a .VOB file is to use a DVD player application to play the entire volume (or to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file), since this will make sure all the DVD-Video features are used properly.

Many DVDs are encrypted, which means the .VOB files won't play when copied to your hard drive. See 4.5.

If you try to copy the .IFO and .VOB files to a recordable DVD it may not play. See 5.9.

You may also run into .VRO files created by DVD video recorders using the -VR format. In some cases you can treat the files just like .VOB files, but in other cases they are fragmented and unplayable. You'll need a utility such as Heuris Extractor to copy them to a hard disk in usable format.

• 3 weeks later...
divx looks crappy because it's compressed (ALOT)

585314179[/snapback]

DivX files don't always look like crap. I "had" Snatch in DivX on 1 CD and it was hard to tell the difference between it and the DVD copy. The person encoding to DivX just has to know what they are doing to make a good quality copy.

vob files are ripped files from a dvd. any dvd decoder program will play em. divx looks crappy because it's compressed (ALOT)

585314179[/snapback]

MPEG-2 looks like crap, because it's compressed a lot too! ;) Recompressing MPEG-2 is where part of the problem is. It's already been highly compressed, then you are recmpressing it yet again.