Carlos Beltran Contract...no really.

Right....Piazza who?

Original Article - Yahoo/AP

The New York Mets signed Carlos Beltran to play center field for the next seven years. They'll be paying him for the next 14.

New York will not make the final payment on Beltran's $119 million contract until July 1, 2018, according to details of the agreement that were obtained by The Associated Press.

Beltran's deal contains $22 million in deferred salary that will be paid out in the seven years after the contract expires. He will be 41 by the time he receives all the money, which will be paid each July 1 starting in 2012 in yearly installments of $3,142,857 plus interest that will accrue at the rate of 1.7175 percent annually.

Like Pedro Martinez, who signed with the Mets in December, Beltran will get an array of perks as part of the contract, including a hotel suite on all road trips and a 15-person luxury suite for all home games, although he must buy tickets for the suite for any postseason games. In the most unusual clause of the deal, the Mets agreed to lease for Beltran an ocular enhancer machine, a device that throws colored, numbered tennis balls to batters at 150 mph or faster.

New York also agreed not to offer salary arbitration at the end of the contract, meaning the Mets must decide whether to re-sign him by Dec. 7, 2011. Offering arbitration extends the deadline for re-signing until the following Jan. 8.

Beltran's contract calls for his $11 million signing bonus to be paid in four installments: $5 million upon approval and $2 million each this June 15, and on Jan. 15, 2006, and Jan. 15, 2007. He gets a $10 million salary this year, $12 million in each of the following two seasons and $18.5 million in each of the final four seasons, with $8.5 million deferred annually from 2008-11.

The players' association calculated the present-day value of the contract at $115,726,946, using a 6 percent discount rate (the prime rate plus 1 percent, rounded to the nearest whole number). For purposes of baseball's luxury tax, which currently uses a 3.62 percent discount rate, the contract is valued at $116,695,898.

That will probably end up hurting the Mets in the long run. Just because he had one good post season doesn't justify what they paid for him.

585318762[/snapback]

Perhaps the Mets GM should have called the Rangers GM and asked him...

"Say ...in hindsight...what would you have done differently w/ A-Rod's contract?"

For the last three years alone, he's had 100 RBIs and batted over .270. And, he's also one of the better outfielders in the majors. I think its a great pickup for the Mets who can never seem to get over that hill they've been climbing for the past decade.

I'm glad the Braves don't do this kind of "luxury purchasing". They may sign good free agents but not to tie up 7 years worth of payroll, much less 18.

And I think the Rangers proved with A-Rod that one or two players won't win you games. The Mets are a halfway house between career years and being out of the league. Mo Vaughn, Tom Glavine, Mike Piazza (save the stats, he's always hurt), John Olerud, soon-to-be Pedro Martinez...hehe, oh well.

Meh.  I'm not real impressed with him, but I've been wrong many times before.

585320825[/snapback]

no. i hope he breaks his ankle and cant play forever. the 120 million dollar fup.

that would rock. i dont think he is good at all. maybe its just me not liking baseball.

baah.

hehe...true.

I just feel he came on late in the season, and got all the publicity in the playoffs.....

585332043[/snapback]

Ahhhhh...the one big trick in professional sports: the free agency year.

Case in point: last season, Erick Dampier had a career year for the Golden State Warriors. The Warriors drafted this guy out of college where he was a stud, gets to the NBA, and is a flop. Granted, he had some knee injuries but he didn't do a damn thing before them. Last season rolls around and, what do you know, is in the top 5 in rebounding and outplays Shaq in 3 out of 4 games against the Lakers. All of a sudden Golden State can't afford to keep him anymore, flies off to Dallas for a rich contract, and now only gets about 25 minutes a game. He is averaging 7 boards a game, but that's like half of last year's average.

It happens in all 3 of the big sports (RIP NHL) and, personally, I think it's the biggest farce in free agency. The fans get cheated big time, not to mention the teams that pay buttloads of money.

You never see this happen in football though. Peyton already had his million dollar contract and he still blows out records. That's why football is so great :D

You never see this happen in football though.  Peyton already had his million dollar contract and he still blows out records.  That's why football is so great :D

585339258[/snapback]

Hehe...two words. Dana Stubblefield.

Hehe...two words.  Dana Stubblefield.

585340407[/snapback]

Yup, one player doesn't mean anything either way. There are players in every major sport just for the money, and players that, while taking the money, who would also play for free, for the love of the game.