setting up home network with win98 and XP

i am trying to setup a peer to peer home network with a machine runing win98 and one running XP, i tried to use the network set up wizard included in win xp CD. On the win98 machine, it shows itself in network neigborhood, but the xp machine can't find a network. can anyone please help me? thanks

Try this,

On your windows 98 machine do the following.

• Right click Network Neighbourhood and click properties
  • Type the name for the computer and workgroup on the Identification tab
  • On the configuration tab, check that the correct network protocol is listed with an arrow pointing to your network adapter. If not:
  • a) Click the Add button, select protocol and click the add button
  • b) In the manufacturers window select Microsoft
  • c) In the Network protocols window, select the protoco you want and click OK. You may need the win 98 cd to install the protocol
  • Still on the configuration tab, drop down the Primary Network Logon list and select Client for Microsoft networks. This causes a dialog box to appear when windows 98 start and invites you to log on to the network.
  • Still on the Configuration tab, to make windows files and or printers available for sharing on the network:
  • a) Click the file and Print Sharing button
  • b) Tick the option for file and / or printer sharing and click OK twice. If you dont tick either option, the Win XP machine won't be able to see the Win 98 machine. However this wont affect whether you can use the Win XP printer from the 98 PC.
  • When you reboot the Windows 98 PC and the Enter Network Password box apperas type in the username and pasword for the relevant Windows Xp account and press Enter.
  • Now redo the Windows Xp network configuration Wizard and reboot.