Open an explorer.exe folder in HTML

Question

Hi there,

i want to be able to have a link in my HTML page so that when the user clicks it, it will open a folder on the local hard drive - c:\windows for example.

Any javascript onclick function I've tried keeps coming up with the ActiveX warning since SP2. Anyone know how I can do it (even with the activex warning if nothing else works as I haven't been able to get the onclick function to work properly.)

Thanks for your help.

19 answers to this question

Hi there,

i want to be able to have a link in my HTML page so that when the user clicks it, it will open a folder on the local hard drive - c:\windows for example.

Any javascript onclick function I've tried keeps coming up with the ActiveX warning since SP2. Anyone know how I can do it (even with the activex warning if nothing else works as I haven't been able to get the onclick function to work properly.)

Thanks for your help.

585326995[/snapback]

Why would you want a user to click a link to open up a folder? Sounds kind of shifty to me. :shifty:

Why would you want a user to click a link to open up a folder? Sounds kind of shifty to me.  :shifty:

585327004[/snapback]

I knew someone would say that :D

Just making a menu system for a directory on the server at work.

file://c:\windows\ may work

585327010[/snapback]

Well, that kinda gets somewhere when it's written like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>test</test>
</head>
<body>
<a href = "file://c:/windows/"> windows</a>
</body>
</html>

Except the link opens in Internet Explorer not Windows Explorer. Any more ideas?

Well, that kinda gets somewhere when it's written like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>test</test>
</head>
<body>
<a href = "file://c:/windows/"> windows</a>
</body>
</html>

Except the link opens in Internet Explorer not Windows Explorer.  Any more ideas?

585327493[/snapback]

IE and Windows Explorer are the same thing.

IE and Windows Explorer are the same thing.

585333426[/snapback]

Exactly. Go ahead and open up IE right now, and replace what's in the address bar with "file://C:/Windows" and the toolbar changes to the explorer toolbar. That's the way you're going to do it.

EDIT: Do you want to open it in a new window? Try

target="_blank"

That will open it up in a new window that is Explorer (since we showed that IE and Explorer are the same).

Edited by fubarshibby

No they're not. All the files and folders open up as hyperlinks.

585335856[/snapback]

What are you talking about? As soon as IE open up a folder on the local machine, it changes into Windows Explorer. I would really like a screenshot showing the problem you are having.

I'm confused here, are you trying to display the USER's C:\Windows directory, or the directory on the server? If you are trying to show the directory on the server, then you would need to place it in your webserver's folder, like AresXP said.

No they're not. All the files and folders open up as hyperlinks.

585335856[/snapback]

Will Ferrel from "Old School": You crazy man... I like you, but you crazy...

Dude, just make a test html page to test on your own computer and put a link to "file://C:/windows" in it. You'll see that j79zlr and I are correct.

if you're using Firefox, however, it won't work.

585336735[/snapback]

Well, it looks like it's for his work, so hopefully the business has a standardized environment on the desktop, and he won't have to worry about people using anything but IE.

Just making a menu system for a directory on the server at work.

585327449[/snapback]

Is the folder the same all the time?

this wouldn't exactly be a one click solution, but you could have the user download and open a vbs file that calls Run to invoke explorer.

could you explain the real problem you are trying to solve. If you have access to all of the users computers then you can make use of WSH.