How to Get Rid of the Firefox User Profile Problem

Ever seen this dreaded Firefox screen before, you click on the icon and are forced to either restart your computer or make a new profile and use that and you dont have your bookmarks or anything. What a pain:

fire1.png

1. To get rid of this you have to get rid of a still existing Firefox process. So either right click on your taskbar and select Task Manager or by simply pressing Control+Alt+Delete

fire2.png

2. Now click the Process near the top of the screen then click on firefox.exe and click on End Process.

fire3.png

3. When a warning window pops up press Yes and start up Firefox again and it should work. Problem solved

fire4.png

because making a porfille at the beginning gives you basically a whole new account, you have none of you bookmarks or personal settings, Its just a pain in the ass to cause the glitch again to switch the accounts again. For the images not popping up right away, they are PNG, if your using firefox or any other modern browser and have a decent net connection you should be perfectly fine, have you done any strange image configs to your about:config ?

i have 3mbps line... and im using like the best of the best, check my signature. i am using firefox. nothing wrong on my connection... but there could be on your set up

I thought this topic was to do with your profile when you reinstall Firefox, having to make sure it doesn't create a new random folder, meh. nevermind.

... I've never seen that screen above since Firebird.

Yes mojomonkee, but you have no choice, you have to shut it down improperly. Anyway you turn it off at that point is not techinically the right way. The only way out there is to kill the process.

You can call it whatever you want, it gets the job done. I am just saying, this happens to people and if they dont want to restart their computer or create a new profile and wait until they restart to get their bookmarks back, than they can just do this and start firefox back up with all their bookmarks.

• 2 weeks later...
it's not really a guide.  and it's not really a "user profile problem" either.  it's more accurately attributed to firefox not shutting down properly.

585372385[/snapback]

It's still nice to know though. Before I knew this, I had to restart my PC so i could use MY user profile. And not have to go back to default.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the tip on how to re-start firefox...but is there any way to make it stop altogther? (asking for username when trying to re-start.) I just downloaded firefox and if I'm going to have to go to task manager and end process every fifth time I re-start, it hardly seems worth it?

thanks....

If what you said in your guide (ending the process). You can safely delete everything in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\ USER NAME \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\o7xbt47x.default\Cache

That should fix the problem if ending the process doesn't.

• 1 month later...

It is a bit of useful info. I myself have run into that annoying problem with Firefox on more than one occasion. However, I don't think the "profile problem" of Firefox is just because of processes left running, or at least not entirely. I've ran into the issue were even after restarting the PC or shutting down and doing a complete cold boot of the system, I still get that message about "profile being in use".

I think there might actually be some sort of other problem or issue causing the profile corruptions, because i'm not the only person I know who has the problem with Firefox.

I'm not entirely sure how to track down and solve this issue either. I've tried running all of my virus/spyware/adware/trojan scans in fully loaded XP and in safe mode. I've also tried running my registry cleaner in full XP and in safe mode and neither seem to have any real effect on helping to fix the problem.

I've also read about enough people who have this problem in other forums to where I think there might be some issue here in the latest Firefox build that the devs might want to look into. I never had a problem with a "corrupted" or "still in use" profile on Firefox 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, but it has happened on more than one occasion with Firefox 1.0.2

i found this out by myself using a thing called "common sense." but thanks anyways.

585717553[/snapback]

Whats the point in saying that emo? Common sense? Maybe if you know about bumps in the road like you or I but I just wanted to show those who didn't know. Some may call this common sense but others might call it a "time-saver", if they thought they had to reboot.

i found this out by myself using a thing called "common sense." but thanks anyways.

585717553[/snapback]

well said, likewise

but still its good to help out the noobs i spose...

You might be suprised. Firefox is growing very rapidly in popularity, even amongst newbs.

However, just because you know something, even if you know it so well you gag at the thought of someone somehow just not knowing it as well as you do, is no excuse for being needlessly rude or responding with sarcasm.

This is one reason why many people get turned off by the IT world, or computer world in general, and why many users at this and a variety of other forums go blundering about on their own making who knows how many mistakes.

The simple fact is, egotism runs through most of the entire computer world in one way or another, and it is far too easy for someone to make snide comments in a forum at someone they don't see or suspect as being as "uber" or "leet" or "guru" as they think themselves to be. Keep in mind boys, at one point you were blundering in the dark with no clue of what a command prompt was, much less anything else as far as computers go.

Frankly, I would have thought a forum as old and established as Neowin would have mods and admins with more brains, or at least ones that pay more attention. Anyone posting anything that blatantly rude, or insulting towards any other board member should get smacked by a mod with a ban stick if they don't cease such behavior and apologize for being rude. there is no reason WHATSOEVER to look down your nose at someone that you don't see as "at your level". People only learn when their questions are answered in a honest and genuine manner. If you can't say something nicely, especially in a forum where people are honestly seeking help, then DON'T say anything. :angry: