Gigabit network brands

How come all routers and switches keep dieing on me? :p

Anyway I have never had a 100% working switch/router but I am concidering upgrading to a gigabit network, but I cant decide on which brand to go with.... I have to following to choose from, Linksys, Belkin, Netgear.

I have had problems with all of them except for linksys (never tried one) but I read that they are not good for performance which is the reason why I am upgrading... Both are 5 ports (might get the same modell but the 8 port version if I can afford it)...

It is a Linksys EG005W, Belkin F5D5141EA5 and a Netgear GS605 that I am concidering...

So what do you think? I need it to be stable and fast, noise isnt really a problem since it will be in the closet...

i have a netgear router/modem/switch on which the 4th port doesn't work. everything else works fine, but the 4th port doesn't work at all. It's not a gigabit router, just a 100mbps one, but still, it annoys me.

just an opinion on Netgear.

Dell has some pretty inexpensive unmanaged switches. I have some of their managed switches and have had no problems whatsoever. Just check out the switching capacity of each of them and compare.

^^ roufly how many linksys routers have you had? Did you experience performace loose?

585343068[/snapback]

I've had 2 on this network, and I've installed about 6 or 7 onto friends' networks... and like I said, only one has failed (so far, lol)

I HATE linksys. For some reason port forwarding has NEVER worked properly, and it took them almost a year to fix some early firmware issues where certain features (important, but i cant remember what exactly) wouldn't work at all.

Personally, i'd stay well clear. I know they are owned by Cisco, which is why i originally got it, but just no!

I am using a 24port gigabit switch from netgear, and it has served us great. I would assume there less amount of port ones are just as good...I have not used any other gigabit switch to rate comparitively though...

I HATE linksys. For some reason port forwarding has NEVER worked properly, and it took them almost a year to fix some early firmware issues where certain features (important, but i cant remember what exactly) wouldn't work at all.

Personally, i'd stay well clear. I know they are owned by Cisco, which is why i originally got it, but just no!

585381106[/snapback]

I don't know, port forwarding works fine for me on my WRT54G. I have about five forwards setup (some for VPN, others for P2P apps) and I have no problems.

Here's a link to the Dell Gigabit Switches:

Dell Gigabit Switches

585381504[/snapback]

I'd love to convert my network to gigabit. I'd hate to upgrade all my hardware.