Smelly Bose 601's

Hey guys I got a pair of the Bose 601's Series IV powered by a Onkyo TX-SR601 Amp/Receiver and I turned the volume up LOUD i mean EXTREMELY LOUD (Like hear it from 10 blocks away loud) and the sound seems fine no distortion or anything but something starts smelling after a while.

What is it should I be worried?

Thanks

yep, ur fry'n em. And i don't believe the 'no distortion' part. Anything with a paper cone will distort if u turn it up that loud.

thats right, u paid that much for a speaker w/ a paper cone. sry to be an ass, but i'm not a bose fan.

side note:

if my mem serves correct then your amp is 6x100 or somewhere in those whereabouts. When hooking up only 2 speakers, ur amp might dump a little power from other channels on ur speakers and overpower them.

eh, maybe i'm smokin crack on that one but i'm sure someone on here will know for sure.

Edited by russ0943

I didnt ask you to believe me man whatever :) So listening at the volume is not reccomemended then I guess? However they have got woofer protection and all that Automatic circuit protection so they should cut down dB when damage is happenening no? I have had Bose before heaps of different types even from there StudioCrafts to LifeStyles and I remember that the Studio crafts used to do the same thing volume would be reduced if they were damaging the speaker, so shouldnt mine do it too? They are not distorting as I said, would it be good to leave it up at that volume level till the smell goes? It might be just something it has to burn in first or something :blink:

lol ok, Smells like Dirty Dypers filled with Indian food. Nooo j/k amm seriously it is like the smell of Bose wood and paper mixed with heated metal and cardboard or something :blink: wow ok I just read what I wrote and I cant really describe the smell :/

Sounds like your pushing them too hard... I would turn them down a bit.

Also smelling wood... is it a burning smell or just a regular freshly cut wood smell???

How long do you keep them at this volume level.

Wow ok that sucks what will happen though if I keep listenening to them that loud? Because the sound is still pleasant just when I walk back into the room with them that loud for a while the whole room smells :(

shockz - After the smell came I left it turned up for a few min, but it keeps happeneing because when a mad song comes on I pump it again and smells come again and I turn it down again sometimes...

Yeh it is more like burning wood smell but I wouldnt call it a burning smell just smells like tech :/ like its heating up

Wow ok that sucks what will happen though if I keep listenening to them that loud?

585346697[/snapback]

You could eventually damage the speakers to where the tones and sounds won't play right (sound as clear)

They could end up distorting.

They could end up ripping/popping the cone

They could blow up

They could just stop working all together.

If you have a warranty/factory insurance etc... I would look into finding replacement units as they may already be damaged.

You could eventually damage the speakers to where the tones and sounds won't play right (sound as clear)

They could end up distorting.

They could end up ripping/popping the cone

They could blow up

They could just stop working all together.

If you have a warranty/factory insurance etc... I would look into finding replacement units as they may already be damaged.

585346703[/snapback]

:cry:

Alright so before I blow these which by the sounds of things looks like its going to be within the next month, can someone reccomend me some speakers that will be good for my position...

Im going to put these on ebay sometime within the next few days if I find something better so any recs guys?

Your burning the voice coil's up. And if you keep doing that you?re going to blow them.

I have smoked many subwoofers in my car because I was over powering them.

Some thing's you need to check are the RMS power handling of those Bose.

Also check the RMS output of the amp. Over powering speakers a little is ok but running say 200 watts into a 80 watt speaker is bad.

Also under powering a speaker with a small amp is bad like an 80 watt amp running 200 watt speaker.

Also make sure your speakers and amp's ohm rating?s match.

your amp can be too powerful for your speakers

I have a rule of thumb, connect speakers 3 times the power of your amp

so 2x200W or 5x75, then I'd put 3*75W speakers