Free Antivirus Alternatives

I had the same experience with NIS (NAV) - it's a memory pig which can't seem to remember its own settings/preferences!? I switched to anti-vir AV and prevX free

firewall and have been totally happy since.?  Anti-vir immedieately detected a virus which norton had missed (W32 parite), and gives numerous options upon detection.? PrevX firewall does a perfect [thusfar] job both inbound and outbound, and isn't a pain in the ass with popups.? I have tested both pretty thoroughly, and recommend both highly.?&n:)p; :)

585386994[/snapback]

Yeap, NIS (nortons internet sh!t) sucks

I switched to zone alarm, and for my av I use symantec av corpor:)e :)

As many of you who use AVG 7 Free have discovered, there has been some server angst at Grisoft since the beginning of the year.

The fact that Grisoft's own AVG Forum now has a thread devoted to griping about the significant failure of the AVG 7 Free's Update service should tell us all something - especially as its been set up by the Forum's own Moderators. The fact that this thread exists at all should be telling Grisoft that they have a problem that is in danger of losing them subscribers (both Free and those that might consider upgrading to their retail product) and it is only a matter of time before the problem becomes 'common knowledge' on the web and in computer print media. If that happens, they will - quite literally - not be able to give their products away.

Grisoft had server angst last year too with AVG 6 but at least there were work-arounds posted very soon thereafter to alter the url.ini file to add other download sites. Not so with AVG 7, though it *seemed* okay until the beginning of the year. Grisoft says they have over 1 million Free users, yet their server bank for Free users appears to be a couple of 486s in the back of somebody's closet in Prague.

More importantly than practically anything else, Grisoft needs to get some more mirrors up and running, download these new contact addresses into a patch for AVG 7 Free and try and restore some of the considerable goodwill they've lost in less than a month.

Yes, some of us can manually download the updates until there is solution - if ever - but why should we have to? That's not the way the product intended us to use it and does not encourage users to keep up-to-date.

Anti-Vir and Avast! will be picking up some of the freebie users otherwise - and people who resent the bloated and forced 'subscription rates' of the commercial products may even go back to them.

Meanwhile, here is a recent posting that may prove to be a temporary work-around until Grisoft gets their act together or decides to block this IP address -

"For those of you running Windows XP or 2000:

- go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

- open the HOSTS file in this directory with Notepad or any other text editor

- add the following line:

193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com

!! note that there should be at least one free space position between the IP adress and the host name !!

- save the HOSTS file and run the update service from AVG control centre"

Its a bit of a bodge job, but it seems to work and if Grisoft can't be bothered...

I use Avg its very good imo just a good as a an unfree one.

585369996[/snapback]

I've been using AVG Free Edition for quite sometime know and I love it. AVG 7.0 just makes u love it even more. I think buying it from them is great cuz it supports the developers and makes them more motivated to create a better program.

*edit*

I think a poll should be done as which Free/Freeware/Paid AntiVirus you use and why you like that Virus Scanner and why you don't think others.

Yeah I Love NIS 2005 (NOT), Its got so many bloated features u can jus play around with them when u are bored an have nowt to do :p I think it causes errors with a lot of websites too :huh:

I got bored last night and wanted to make something useful. Hopefully this can help those who are looking to purchase an AV.

http://desmondp.host-dot.com/index.php?p=9

Mind, I haven't had the chance to revise and edit it completely yet. But hopefully it will be helpful.

585367676[/snapback]

(Y) nice work.... my (Y) goes to avast as well. but AVG isn't far behind. :p

Uninstalled NIS 2005 for AVG! Very satisfied so far!

My Laptop actually comes out of hibernation correctly now! I was suspecting that NIS 2005 was the one keeping my computer from comming out of hibernation. Computer running a lot smoother now. Very good.

Glad you guys like this. I'm actually thinking of doing stories and stuff like this and random reviews and stuff but make it an audio. Perhaps like 10-15 minutes long. Sort of mini shows that you guys can download that I will put together every like week or so that deals mainly with tech stuff but can be about any of the latest news.

Would anyone actually be interested in listening to these sort of shows?

I also had to kick Norton out of my PC. Oh my..what a pain it is :(

I like this thread for the idea that some companies will offer security to their customers first and then try to sell them their product - which are excellent.

I was using AVG but the interface is not as efficeint as I thought it would be, and the options after a virus scan were almost nonexistant.

So I switch over to Avast. I didn't like the blue interface too much, but I can get used to it. The most impressive thing is that this is a great AntiVirus. It found 4 viruses/trojans on my pc 4 minutes after I installed, w/o doing any scans yet at all, that was great! Let me remind you that AVG had not detected these viruses/trojans despite doing a "full system scan with all heuristics" and stuff.

The real-time scanner on Avast has also been better. It detects an infected file on my internet cache in like 1 second after downloading it - AVG took about 30 seconds or so. That can make a big difference.

Well, those are my two cents ont hese programs. If anyone has used BitDefender or PrevX, please go ahead and give us your thoughts.

Also, is there a thread on free Firewalls? I use ZoneAlarm, which is Outstanding :) Any others out there that coem close on interface and usability?

Thanks

Very nice :D

My personal choice, despite the fact it isn't exactly mindblowing in appearance for graphics or animation is Antivir. It works well on older and new machines, and have saved my bacon on a number of occasions. It even catches suspicious "trojan-like" software that certain sites try to install on your system as you browse through them. Avast is another great one, very good software. AVG is thumbs up too.

As for free firewalls, I know this thread really isn't on that topic, but Sygate Personal Firewall is totally awesome. I've used it for some time now with no complaints. :woot:

• 2 weeks later...

I?m currently using AVG?. but maybe it is just me. I keep a few of my computers on 24/7 and for the last month or so AVG downloads a updates that needs a restart. I can understand once a month tops but why every other day!

Maybe it is time for me to start shopping around.

ZeroBS

If you're on a LAN with NAt,

AVG + Spysweeper = Full protection :yes: , although Spysweeper isn't really "free" :whistle:

Spysweeper takes about 14MB in RAM which isn't that bad :s

AVG takes up less than 1MB

BTW, I think I'm alergic to anything Norton. :x

The only free antivirus I trust is Avast. It updates it self without prompts, and will update if it misses an update. I use this on my secondary PCs. Use Norton 2000 on my main)

I've used AVG, but it's too manual to do updates if you miss one from being offline.

i was using avg but now macafee 9.0 , anyone use mcafee 9.0 here? :D

585508461[/snapback]

I use my dick to slap the virus off, spyware too

No really i use Mcaffe 9, get it free with verizon

I have to choose from Avast and AVG. I have searched and searched and it's always a personal preference, but. I am asking which one require the less resources. Because all I have is 128MB ram and 800MHz CPU P3. What do you think from avast and avg will run the smoother?

I have to choose from Avast and AVG.  I have searched and searched and it's always a personal preference, but.  I am asking which one require the less resources.  Because all I have is 128MB ram and 800MHz CPU P3. What do you think from avast and avg will run the smoother?

585551935[/snapback]

From my experience, AVG uses less resources. This is also reported in the article that is the subject of this thread.