Nine-year-old soccer player turning heads

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- At this rate, sonograms will become a soccer recruiting tool pretty soon.

Jean Carlos Chera, a 9-year-old who is 4-foot-6, is attracting interest from Manchester United and other top European teams. Chera, who weighs 77 pounds, currently plays for the youth teams of Associacao Desportiva Atletica, a small club in the southern Brazilian state of Parana.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Seven or eight European clubs have already contacted us to know more about Jean," team president Adilson Batista Prado said in a telephone interview Thursday. "They want to know what he is all about, and I tell them he's a phenomenon, probably the best player to come out of Brazil."

Prado and team officials would not identify all the clubs interested in Jean, but confirmed that representatives of Manchester United have asked for videotapes of his matches.

Prado said teams from Portugal, France and Germany have made contact, and local media identified FC Porto as one of the teams.

The club said the European clubs haven't made official offers yet, but some have asked for permission to send representatives, and others have invited the midfielder and his family to go to Europe.

"He still needs to be a kid," said Prado, who does not allow Jean to talk to reporters.

Jean began to attract attention after the club put videos with highlights of Jean's matches on its Web site. In the videos, Jean is seen scoring goals from midfield, dribbling past several defenders and playing among 13- and 14-year-olds.

After the videos were posted, the site's page views nearly tripled and some of them had to be removed to keep the site from crashing, the club said.

Two years ago, Manchester and Inter Milan were among top clubs that expressed interest in then 14-year-old Freddy Adu, who signed Major League Soccer instead. European clubs generally are not allowed to use players from outside the European Union on their first teams until they turn 18.

Anyone know where I can find that video they talked about? Thanks in advance!

Anyone know where I can find that video they talked about? Thanks in advance!

jean_carlos.jpg

jean_carlos.jpg

There are two videos, but they only have one available: the short one. Because everybody was raiding them for the full video.

Here's the short one.

Edit: holy **** -> "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

No video for you then. Everybody wants to see that video. I want to see it too. (>_<)

Edited by tiagosilva29

Need video in order to see if he's the real deal.  Hope they get it up.

585371848[/snapback]

yes because a half dozen european club teams would send out reps to recruit someone who doesn't exist or who's "faking it".

yes because a half dozen european club teams would send out reps to recruit someone who doesn't exist or who's "faking it".

585374757[/snapback]

I meant real deal as in good enough talent to get hyped, not him being fake :rolleyes:

This may sound 'unbelievable' but this kid is just a little bit better than I was from ages 5-10. If I made a 5min video of my best playing from the age of 5 to 9/10, you would see me doing some of that **** as well. I probably would not be scoring as well and not hogging the ball as much, but then again he is pretty good for a kid. Stupid however, that this is getting so much media coverage and stupid bull**** about him becoming an EPL or Spanish League star already. They recruit many many kids for their training camps/youth teams all the time all over European Leagues, it's just usually done behind the scenes. Final verdict: potential and that's about it...

Video Here: http://members.home.nl/nplompen/jean_carlos.wmv

This may sound 'unbelievable' but this kid is just a little bit better than I was from ages 5-10.

Ya I agree..... anyone can a "summary" video of all the times they were owning and of the scores they made...
wow, he has alot of talent, he will be rich rich rich when he is older :yes:  :pinch:

585385440[/snapback]

Forget the money, it's all about the girls.

Wow. What a waste of 5 minutes.

Absolutely amazing? Not really. He's darn good for a kid his age (or even someone 5 years older than him), but better than pro players? Not really. He's playing against competition nowhere near the professional levels, not sure how someone could say that... I'm sure he has a good future ahead of him, but seriously... 9 years old? Give the kid time before you start drooling over him.

i downloaded the video, wow he is really good for his age, i am sure he will be a rich man, crap i think i have already posted in here :rolleyes: ah well lol, he will do well in life :yes:

i downloaded the video, wow he is really good for his age, i am sure he will be a rich man, crap i think i have already posted in here :rolleyes:  ah well lol, he will do well in life :yes:

585422243[/snapback]

Don't jinx the kid. Greediness can quickly ruin his career like it ends up doing to many.

Wow, a couple of those moves that kid made would be tough even for me to do, and I played AAA soccer for many years lol. (and I'm 19 lol) haha