Lite-On 16x DVD Dual Layer Burner [Review]

Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner Review

I bought this guy after Christmas because of Circuit Citys fault. They had a rebate price tag up on it's shelf but the rebate expired. There policy said I get the burner at the rebate price($60.00). I had the choice of Sony too but I am glad I got this guy.

What you get

The Drive(comes in Black)

Nero 6 Express

The hook ups

DVD + R & -R discs

Manual

Installation

The drive is Black which is perfect for most. Hooking the drive up is easy, the jumper settings were listed on the drive so I didn't need to refer to the manual for install. Once I got it hooked up Windows detected instantly and added it to My Computer. I installed the Nero 6 Express which can be upgraded to Nero 6 Ultra if you bought it. You just enter in the serial. The manual is very detailed except but mentions nothing on dual layer burner burning except for the cover of manual.

Specs

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_prod...e_sohw1633s.asp I'm too lazy to type them out. :p

The Burning

The drive worked with Nero and DVD X Copy fine. It never choked on me. I didn't test it on a dual layer dvd because they cost way too much but Lite-On doubled it's write speed from 2x to 4x for Dual Layer. You need to download the firmware upgrade. The DVDs worked flawlessly in my Compys & set top DVD player. A typical DVD burning of a movie takes about 10-20 minutes.

Overall

I love this DVD Burner especially since I got it for as much as a CD-RW drive. It fits in perfectly with my case. I would highly reccomend this drive to anyone looking for a DVD Burner. :)

My Dad bought me this burner for Christmas. I have to say, I love it. I'm using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to prepare the disk, and Nero 6 to burn. I have had no problems so far, it's great. :)

My Dad bought me this burner for Christmas. I have to say, I love it. I'm using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to prepare the disk, and Nero 6 to burn. I have had no problems so far, it's great. :)

585377677[/snapback]

if you use dual-layer discs, there's no need to shrink the dvd thus keeping the same quality!

I use DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor as well and was wondering if Decryptor would automatically burn to the second layer, or would I needed some pre-preperation like spliting the DVD?