Web MSN clients..

Hi there.. im at college and they appear to have blocked all the main websites that enable you to use msn online.

Is it just me or is this plain stupid?.. fair enough - msn clients do have flaws, but online??. .come on!..

Anyway, tell me what you think, cheers

EDIT;

its just that they have this paranoia ( i belive ) that the security is really low and therefore they have to block all chat clients.. but sureley web msn's arnt any harm?

Edited by eXsub

that happend to only windows os systems at my college, the macs were fine and signed online with msn messenger also webmessenger, but they blocked the web and msn clients for windows at my college too, my walkthrough was to use a proxy ;)

Well they block a lot of sites at my school as well, though they sometimes mess up and unblock stuff so whatever. We sometimes use msn for work anyways, I dont see what they are gaining by blocking msn. Absolutely nothing.

Miranda

doesnt need to be installed. can just be run (extract from zip)

Go into its options and set port 80 as the port to use

They cant block port 80 traffic! Else there wont be any access to any websites!

They cant block port 80 traffic! Else there wont be any access to any websites!

Not quite true. They could block port 80 traffic, and require all users to connect via a proxy on ports 3128 or 8080 (Commonly Used for this purpose)

But they don't need to block port 80 traffic. Only to redirect the traffic through a server which filters web requests and blocks according to filters that have been setup.

This prevents access to the web clients, and if done well, even to the servers used by third party standalone apps. (I have this prob with my MSN Client)

Is it just me or is this plain stupid?.. fair enough - msn clients do have flaws, but online??. .come on!..
I dont see what they are gaining by blocking msn. Absolutely nothing.

Not true, they get students to focus on work rather than chatting. The students are hard enough to control as it is, MSN in the classroom is no different to passing notes. Either way the students are not paying attention to the lesson. And you cannot expect teachers to supervise MSN access. In many cases, they don't even know what it is.

but they blocked the web and msn clients for windows at my college too, my walkthrough was to use a proxy

I am not a mod, but this comes close to providing someone with information on how to circumvent the security/restrictions placed by a legitimate authority, and as such is against the policy of neowin. While many members know how to do this, this is not the forum to discuss how to do this.