IE, DNS and Neowin

i havent been able to get on Neowin via Internet Explorer in almost a week! (coincides with latest security patch?)

im using Opera to post this.

it's a DNS timeout error:

502 Bad Gateway

The following error occurred:

A DNS lookup error occurred. The request timed out during the lookup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please contact the administrator.

I've seen this before (especially with Neowin) but not for this long, and not in such a way that i'm the only one who cant get in. The problem is only in IE, since im here in Opera...help?

*edit*

gosh....its apparenlty working now (about a week later) i took some stuff off my computer like norton internet security and some tweaks, but that was a while ago... oh well, microsoft and the internet work in mysterious ways

Delete your internet explorer history.

Delete your internet explorer temporary internet files.

Close your browser.

Open a cmd prompt and type 'ipconfig/flushdns'

Reboot immediately.

If you still have probs check your hosts file,dns server,proxy settings.

Is this an IE error or is it an error page served through your proxy, because the "Please Contact the Admin" part doesn't seem to be a IE local error message. Otherwise, yashiro's solution would have worked.

Originally posted by yashiro

Delete your internet explorer history.

Delete your internet explorer temporary internet files.

Close your browser.

Open a cmd prompt and type 'ipconfig/flushdns'

Reboot immediately.

If you still have probs check your hosts file,dns server,proxy settings.

that didnt seem to work

Originally posted by SyS_Reactor

Is this an IE error or is it an error page served through your proxy, because the "Please Contact the Admin" part doesn't seem to be a IE local error message. Otherwise, yashiro's solution would have worked.

the error is just in the browser, same as if you had a 404 error. (but yashiro's solution didnt seem to solve it)

Originally posted by ahodes1

try ditching the Q321232 hotfix, that's the latest IE fix and see what happens...

its not on the ad/remove list for some reason..

nor can i find anything by searaching for Q321232 on my comp, but i do know that that is the update name

hey, hey! that works! although it has ads and looks ugly..

why would this work and not the regular? its obviously something wrong on my computer, and IE in particular...

Try the following:

Pull up a command prompt window and type in ipconfig /flushdns

This will flush the dns cache and might solve your problem. It certainly solved some wierd things which were happening with IE (....and Nutscrape too)

falconcy

Originally posted by falconcy

Try the following:

This will flush the dns cache and might solve your problem. It certainly solved some wierd things which were happening with IE (....and Nutscrape too)

falconcy

i'm sorry, i must be out of loop or something.. what is this 'nutscrape' you're talking about ?

Originally posted by lazydesert

i'm sorry, i must be out of loop or something.. what is this 'nutscrape' you're talking about ?

....try thinking of another browser which some people use and it will become apparent;-)

falconcy

Originally posted by falconcy

Try the following:

falconcy

it says 'could not flush DNS Resolver Cache: function failed during execution

damn....

Originally posted by mcb

it says 'could not flush DNS Resolver Cache: function failed during execution

damn....

Your networking is screwed up if you get that :( Perhaps bad NIC drivers? If not then you are almost definately looking at a reinstall.

Originally posted by mcb

i havent been able to get on Neowin via Internet Explorer in almost a week! (coincides with latest security patch?)

im using Opera to post this.

it's a DNS timeout error:

502 Bad Gateway

The following error occurred:

A DNS lookup error occurred. The request timed out during the lookup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please contact the administrator.

I've seen this before (especially with Neowin) but not for this long, and not in such a way that i'm the only one who cant get in. The problem is only in IE, since im here in Opera...help?

gosh....its apparenlty working now (about a week later) i took some stuff off my computer like norton internet security and some tweaks, but that was a while ago... oh well, microsoft and the internet work in mysterious ways

I had the same error neowin.net was unaccessible for a week and now its starting to work again, all my friends had the same problem on various uk isps. Also I will point out I installed no IE or windows updates to coincide with it, I think it was a neowin problem.