[NFL] Sources: Emmitt Smith to retire

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Running back Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, will retire this offseason, sources told ESPN.

Several Smith confidants said that, barring a last-minute change of plans, Smith will announce his retirement on Thursday in Jacksonville, site of Super Bowl XXXIX. It is believed that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will attend the announcement.

Reached by the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday in Jacksonville, Smith did not confirm he was retiring.

Read more: ESPN

I will miss him for sure. There is no other athlete that I respect more than Emmitt. He is one of my personal heroes. Sure, he wasnt the fastest or most wicked RB but he had the courage and the push to reach the legend status he has now.

I remember that I used to have all his rookie cards, but my mom threw them away because she tho' they where just garbage. :(

Honor To Emmitt, he surely deserves it.

Good, less former Cowboys in the league, the better.

585399155[/snapback]

I understand that you, as an Eagles fan, you dont like the former America's team members.

But you cant deny the impact these fine players had in the league.

Today a big part of america (and Im talking about the whole continent) is rambling about the patriot?s chance to become a dinasty. Well... the 90's cowboys were a dinasty. The hell of a dinasty.

:))

Good, less former Cowboys in the league, the better.

585399155[/snapback]

LOL you win.

Actually I saw on my local news (well Charlotte news) that said that Smith denied the retirement claims. I guess we will find out shortly then.

great athlete, but i've never been a fan.  i still think walter is the best....

585399150[/snapback]

Walter is a true legend. But I tell you, Jim Brown can kick his ass.

Jim Brown was a poem in the field. The only player who can be compared with him is Barry Sanders.

I've been watching this guy run all over the field since his Cowboys day and he's definitely in the top list of classy athletes. I think Emmitt will be remembered not only for his physical abilities on the field, but his attitude towards the game on and off the field.

I've been watching this guy run all over the field since his Cowboys day and he's definitely in the top list of classy athletes.  I think Emmitt will be remembered not only for his physical abilities on the field, but his attitude towards the game on and off the field.

585399305[/snapback]

Exactly. He is really in love with the game. He put passion in every run.

I remember this game against philly many years ago. He received a big hit in his right leg. The staff wanted him out of the field but he refused. The next play he scored a 30+ yards TD.

This is my all time Favorate player!! I don't get to see him play now.. as I don't get the Card games, but I have a great deal of respect for Emmitt Smith. I think he has more heart then any player from his era. Classy Classy Guy!! If this is true, he will be missed! :cry:

Edit:

Contacted by the Morning News, Smith, 35, said: "Did you see my year last year? Do you think I'm ready to retire?''

Source

Edited by IceDogg