Rudy out. Phil in?

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Rudy Tomjanovich resigned midway through his first season as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, citing health reasons.

L.A. general manager Mitch Kupchak met with Tomjanovich at his home Monday after the coach missed Sunday's game because he did not feel well. Their conversation led Kupchak to believe Tomjanovich would resign, and he made it official Wednesday.

"I think this is the best decision for me and the Lakers," a subdued Tomjanovich said at a news conference. "A month ago, I became conscious of not feeling good. As the time went by, I started to feel my resistance going down. I went from this energetic, pumped-up guy to all of a sudden being sapped of a lot of energy.

"I hadn't been on antibiotics for a couple of years, or at least a year, and already here, because of my resistance being low, I was on it consistently, you know, with infections. And it just seemed like I just got deeper and deeper into not feeling good.

"Why this happened now and why my body couldn't take it, I do not have the answer."

Lakers owner Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak met with Kobe Bryant for a half hour during the game Tuesday to discuss the possible return of Phil Jackson, sources told the Los Angeles Times.

Bryant said that he would agree to Jackson's return, the paper reported.

Jackson, who is in Australia on vacation, told the paper in an e-mail that he was thinking about the possibility.

Kupchak said Wednesday that he hadn't talked to Jackson and that the Lakers have had no "business contact" with Jackson, but acknowledged that he and Buss likely would discuss the former coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1982487

interesting...

apparently, kobe would welcome him with open arms. but i have heard, and i do think its true, there are a lot of good teams that will need a coach.

but then again there is shaqs comments. if phil was to come back, he would probly be the highest paid coach in the league.

Bryant said that he would agree to Jackson's return, the paper reported.

Give me a break. This is the kind of crap ruining that organization. They had to sit down with him and ask his permission? Yeah, ok, he needs to shut up and just play.

Give me a break. This is the kind of crap ruining that organization. They had to sit down with him and ask his permission? Yeah, ok, he needs to shut up and just play.

585414208[/snapback]

He's a bit injured at the moment. I think KB knows that he needs Jackson or he wont get his ring without the Diesel.

And for all you guys that said it's not KB's team, not to be offensive to you, but he got The Diesel and Jackson booted. It's his team.