[Review] Apple Mac Mini

Thanks for the review, i went out and bought a second hand G4 Cube, now i want the mini cos it's soo much smaller and more powerful! Time to sell zee cube methinks.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know the max hard drive the mini mac can take ?

585656077[/snapback]

well, if you just go to apple.com and look at the mac mini part, you can tell that the max they offer is 80 gigs...however, if you're talking about opening it up and sticking your own harddrive in there, i dont know about that

amazing i realy want one of these but im taking my GF on holiday in 4 weeks and i sadly cant afford one :(

585413264[/snapback]

you made a good choice

have fun

• 5 weeks later...

I picked one of these up yesterday (well the 1.2GHz one). First Mac here. Been a PC user my entire life (well, after I was color basic user and before that etch-a-sketch).

It really is like an "appliance" (as one review I read said about it). It sits quietly in the corner of my desk, always on, sitting on top of the cabinet that holds my PC, which I swear sounds like an aircraft taking off when it is on. Something I've just become use to. When ever I went out to buy a new PC, my preference was always performance over size/sound. I'm sure there are quiet PCs on the market, but I've never owned one :D.

I'm very impressed so far with the performance of this little hummer. Threw 512MB in it (kind of a pain to install, but really isn't as bad as it first sounds.. a lot cheaper to do it yourself then in store: video). I'll probably up that to 1GB here in a month or so. I've got tons of windows open with Music playing and I've also tried Video in the background. It all performs well. Expose is a god sent for Task Management. I'm also very fond of middle clicking my mouse for quickly switching between applications as well (its a Microsoft Optical mouse, which I'd die if I didn't have...really, those guys on UT2004 would kill me), much easier then ctrl-tab'ing it. DVD playback is also superb.

The only draw backs performance wise I'm seeing is:

*Resizing web browser windows is really laggy compared with all the other windows. I've tried a bunch of different web browsers so far, the problem exists in all of them.

*Whenever one of those screen savers (like forest, cosmos and beach) are on, or just previewing, the screen has a weird flicker with weird lines through it. I can't figure out if it is a refresh rate problem or just signs of a mediocre video card. Having the DVI cable connected to an LCD doesn't let you change refresh rate beyond 60Hz. I wish they would have included 64MB on the video card. I have a 9200 on one of my PCs w/ 128MB and it runs a lot smoother. If 64MB on video memory was a feature on the 1.4GHz model, it probably would have sold me.

Yup, thats about all I have to say about it so far. Software that comes with it is really nice. But overall, I think I like its silence the best.

Serenity is Bliss

-nic

Edited by nic

Switching the connector from DVI to VGA solves the weird screen saver flickering problem. Seems like I'm not the only one.

I'll be calling Apple tech support on this one. Recommend anyone else who is having the problem to do the same. They won't fix it, and will probably give you a support run-around. I hope they don't give me a run-around, just tell me its a known issue, that they've made a note of my complaint, and they are working on a solution.

VGA isn't that bad, in the meantime. The fonts look a little fuzzier (and I've tweaked font "Smoothing" style). And some grays have a slight red tint to them (I've tweaked my color settings as well). I have the same results with the PC, so it is just my monitor's interface with its VGA port.